1st REAL planted tank (10g) log! (Picture heavy)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

galen

AC Members
Jan 26, 2007
NY
i had forgotten just how cool these threads are. one of the interesting little nuggets about this site!

keep up the good work man! it look gr8!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
The shrimp have arrived! We had a few unwanted hitchhikers to deal with but everything is fine now! I did have to plant the plants very quickly though so expect to see some changes soon. Pictures! (this will be a long post!)

Full Tank Shot. The plant in the back right corner is DWARF SAG!?!? Those were so large I decided to put them in as a background plant for now. Once I buy some background plants I will cut it and move it to the front.

Tropica Sword, Dwarf Sag & a cup of MTS. The MTS were not moving much (which is expected of course) so I figured this way any dead snails would easily be removed.

Anubias somewhat attached to driftwood. It looks like the MTS chewed a path right through that green spot algae on the bottom leftmost leaf.

Small rock formation, helps redirect water at water changes, especially with this super light Eco-Complete. & an unknown plant that was stuck in the roots of the other plants. See the shrimp!?

Close-up of unknown plant, any ideas? Kind of looks like windelov java fern but I'm no expert! It does have a very tough "root", kinda like a rhizome but it is growing in a very root like way (down not across).

Java Moss & ferns. Notice the very small MTS on the rock holding the moss down?

RCS are fast, small and don't seem to stop moving! :) It doesn't help that I am not very good with a camera.

Notice what is missing? The Java Moss wall! After thinking about it I realized that although it is beautiful it would just drown out the rest of the plants. I think a black background will add much more depth. I may add moss walls to the sides though instead.

Enjoy! I will probably add more to rearrange things shortly so stay tuned! :) (I know I am a dork, it is ok) As always feel free to comment or suggest something.

I want to thank everyone who helped me set this tank up! Especially Msjinkzd for all her excellent advice and suggesting a shrimp tank & Mgamer20o0 for providing the beautiful shrimp, plants & MTS. Thanks so much!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Thank you Jpappy!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Your unidentified plant is officially identified as a type of java fern. It should grow out a little more before deciding what exactly kind it is. Take the rhizome out of the substrate and tie it to a rock or your driftwood.

Nice layout...I would move the dwarf sag a little more closer to the midground area

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Your unidentified plant is officially identified as a type of java fern. It should grow out a little more before deciding what exactly kind it is. Take the rhizome out of the substrate and tie it to a rock or your driftwood.
It is kinda funny but I hard NO idea what it was or what it really looked like when I planted it. Once I saw the picture of it I could actually SEE it, I don't understand how it worked but it did! :) I will remove and tie it down tomorrow morning. I keep odd hours but my fish do not, I hate not seeing them through out the night. :cry:

Nice layout...I would move the dwarf sag a little more closer to the midground area
Thank you. I think moving it back is a good idea & a little closer together.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
That looks very nice but what's with the glass of mts? Try moving the sword away from the glass a little so the leaves aren't quite so straight, it's going to grow bushier.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Not much of an update but it is an update. I moved the dwarf sag back and closer together, removed the cup of MTS (only 1 didn't make it), tied the "fern" to a stone & I also moved the the Tropica sword out as much as possible, all as suggested. Thank you!

I also moved the anubias back behind the driftwood a little, & setup a moss wall on the right side (not enough to do anymore).

My shrimp have colored up SO nicely, so nicely that I am not sure if I have any males! :) I found out that I am not the only defect in my photo skills, my camera is crapping out on me, especially with focusing on zoomed in objects! Which of course is exactly what I need to take a good picture of my shrimp, so I got a shot of one of the less colored shrimp cause he was closest to the glass.

Enjoy the photos! I have no planned updates as of right now. I do not want to plant too much and decrease algae growth so I dunno what to do next. :)

This is a hitchhiker I found!

Readjusted, doesn't look much different! :) I put the moss wall in after this photo so I will add that photo tomorrow.

This is one of the lightest colored guys in the tank. I have one that is almost completely red but she was just a tad too far from the glass. I will stake out my tank until I catch her.

(I got a 72g bowfront today!! :drool::drool: Time to start planning!!)

TLT

AC Members
May 6, 2008
Wow, I love your pics and the layout of your plants. Even the rocks have a function other than looking nice! 'Beats using a bowl for water changes :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store