20-23 Gallon Tank Community Fish Plan

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Nope! Just adds to the fun! Hehehe

You still gave me good info on the Glofish!

Ok, So now we r keeping the goldfish where they are until they start getting big for this tank 23 Gallon approx... They are about 2 inches long atm!

Now my only concern is that as they get bigger, with only the Danio's with them the Goldfish might start trying to eat them once they get big!!

I convinced hubby to get a small live plant, I'll try to talk him into getting at least one bigger plant for the Danios to hide but I haven't had much luck changing his mind lately.....

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Lmao! I just messages my hubby, (he's at work) and told him again I'm not happy with his deciding on his own and he said to do what's want, so I said to compromise, let me get just 2-3 more other fish I want and we get like instead of the x5 Danio's I had been planning we get like about x7-8 of them....?

Hmm, that'd make about 11-12 fish, x8-9 lil Danios x2-3 say Guppies maybe and the x2 Goldfish until I convince him to make the pond, anyway....

So if we slowly raise the temperature day by day to match the tropical fish? Hmm let me check again the temperature for Guppies and Danios in Celcius....

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
So!

Right now we have it at about 24 Degrees Celcius Ah I think that's about 75.2 Degrees Fahrenheit? I had it up to about 26 Degrees for a few days to try to fight the Ick. When we put the Goldfish back into the warm water again after my putting it into the small tank with the cold water, he's been swimming much more in the warm water in the cold water he was just sort of laying about...

So, now we have:

X2 Goldfish, (Ashuk - White, Mashuk Orange - now both looking much healthier!)
x4 Lil Guppies
(Dark Orange Guppy is Oro, Yellow Leopard is Leo, Orange Leopard is Guppo and the Dark Purple one is called Gus, couldn't think of a better name for him, hehehe)
x5 Neon Tetra (They're called "The Gang" Who needs Glofish, Neon's are cool and pretty!)
x3 lil Gold Peppered Corydoras (Named "The Cleaners" lol)

The numbers were mostly part of the deal the pet store had going for sales, that's about 14 fish, is that too many for a 23 Gallon?
I think only 1-2 Corydoras would have been more then enough and maybe just x3 Guppies but that's the cheaper way to buy them in groups...

How do fish generally act if they do feel over crowded
My husband doesn't quite think about the fish as carefully as I do, to him there "just" fish, easily replacable, I even named all of them already, lol

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
If it weren't for the goldfish you'd be fine, with a bit more room to add to the stock...but IMHO having the goldies automatically makes it overstocked since you should consider adult size.

Corys are actually schooling fish and should be in a group of 5-6 minimum. Do you know the sex of the guppies? What happened to the danios?

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Well, I was trying to figure out if the lil fish I already had was a Danio or a White Cloud, I believe it is a White Cloud, but they had none, which is why we got the Neon Tetras.

I skipped Platies also cause I didn't want to overcrowd anymore then I have to with the two Goldfish. The Goldfish are the only problem but I'm having an extremely hard time convincing my husband we aught to move the Goldfish or give them away.... :(

They had Guppies seperate tanks for Female and Male and we got only Males... To ensure no breeding!

jpappy789

Plants need meat too
Feb 18, 2007
Gainesville, FL
Real Name
Josh
As I said in your other thread, nitrite is not good for fish and most likely is a sign that your tank's bioload is just too much. Please continue to urge your husband to rehome the goldfish. Hopefully he will make the right decision soon.

Good idea to just get the male guppies though!

Fev

AC Members
Aug 25, 2012
Wyndam Council, Victoria
Yeah, it's looking really good! :D
Unfortunately he says he'll listen to me if and when fish die! Sorry to my hubby in advance but i told him it's cruel! I am not impressed with his seeing them only as ornaments! He almost directly said so, they are to look pretty their not like people... Grr! Not happy!
He still won't listen! All I can do atm is to keep changing water etc....

We had a pretty bad argument over it and I said to keep the Goldfish only but he got upset and asked "why did we get the bigger tank then?"
I said that he Goldfish had to have a bigger tank atleast if not to go outside anyway as I didn't know when I got them that they get so big, his answer is to keep pointing out that it takes them years to get more then a few inches! They are already at 2 inch approx now and I've had them for a yr!

Sorry if it looks like angry, needed to vent a lil I guess! eh

chibikaie

AC Members
Nov 19, 2011
New England, USA
That's frustrating. Won't he listen to advice when it's backed up with documentation? Even a basic aquarium book should be able to explain the nitrogen cycle. A good one would point out how much larger tanks the goldfish need.

I am working on convincing my parents that my own goldfish needs a larger tank, too. Right now she's by herself in a 40 gallon, and I'm trying to arrange for a 90. Where are you? If I can get the larger tank, I can take one of yours. Or put them in my quarantine tank; at least then they aren't in with other fish. Would he let them go if he knew someone wanted them?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store