20G 3D Background Project

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
I finally decided to set my 20 Gallon tank back up and decided to do it really custom and also to keep a log of the total process... and we'll this is my log.

I just finished phase one of my 3D background and decided to post the first pics of it.

Materials used for this post:

Strofoam
GE I Silicone
Steak Knife

The first step was taking the block of strofoam and carving it out to the specifications I wanted. To do this I simply used a regular old steak knife, alot of patience, and as a result of a moment with lack of patients, a bandand to cover a nice little gouge in my hand. Overall I am quite pleased with how it has turned out.

I will continue to post the steps I use, pictures, as well as the materials through out the project which should run about a week allowing proper time for curing.

20G 3D Background Project 1.jpg 20G 3D Background Project 2.jpg 20G 3D Background Project 3.jpg

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
First layer of cement on

The silicone has cured on the styrofoam peices thata re stuck together, and I have just finished giving it its first (base) coat of cement. Prepared the cement to be a little watery so it spreads easily and used some cheap foam brushes to cover it.

Materials used

Quick dry Cement
Foam brushes

20G 3D Background Project 4.jpg

crazylady6900

AC Members
May 14, 2007
I never thought of using styrofoam like that. What a good idea. I just recently grabbed some rocks from outside and am waiting to see what it will do to my tank water in my 20 gallon. I wish I would have thought of that to do it would've been a good project since I have plenty of spare time these days. Looks nice!

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
I never thought of using styrofoam like that. What a good idea. I just recently grabbed some rocks from outside and am waiting to see what it will do to my tank water in my 20 gallon. I wish I would have thought of that to do it would've been a good project since I have plenty of spare time these days. Looks nice!
Well... if ya dont have any fish yet, mays well give it a shot. It is definitly rewarding. I will be coating it with silicone and posting some pics later tonight. Into the tank Thursday!

MikenDanielle

AC Members
May 18, 2007
NB Canada
Finally Done!

Finally finished covering the entire background in silicone and now just waiting for it to cure, about 16 more hours! Here are some pics of the final product.

The rocks on the bottom are siliconed on just for weight and will mostly be covered by substrate once the tank is filled.

33 Gallon Tank Setup 7.jpg 20G 3D Background Project 5.jpg 20G 3D Background Project 6.jpg

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
looking good man, it will look better when its wet.

im just about to post pics of mine in the water :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store