20g, Rena xp3 & co2?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Joel, my NOs are 30 inch, that's what I liked. HOs are 24inch. Turns out I was wrong, I am using the HO but with just 1 bulb instead of 2, maybe that's why I didn't remember or notice so much. I recall shopping for bulbs, 30 inch is unusual

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Love 20 longs but hate lighting them, even worse then all the 3ft tanks I have.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Personally I would go with 30" T5 fixtures using 24" bulbs.

I think I have only ever seen 30" bulbs from coralife, but the light will spread the 3" on the side and light just fine.

Otherwise I have seen plenty of 30" LED fixtures and have had no problems using them.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I was hoping to use what I have, so maybe the 24" HOs.

But of greater concern is earthquake preparedness & co2 tanks. I had forgotten that can be a real issue here in CA, I'm newish to that consideration. If the "big 1" hits, tough luck for tanks, but I noticed some strapping & other possible fixes for co2 pressurized tanks on another forum. I need to research some more, I'm not ready yet!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
24" will work fine if the fixture will sit on the tank safely. You can lower the overall amount of light with your photoperiod getting longer or shorter, or suspending the lights to allow you to have them higher if needed.

As for tge CO2 tank, strapped to something that is unlikely to topple should suffice... walls are gois.

Reactions: FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I was hoping to use what I have, so maybe the 24" HOs.
I haven't set it up and used it yet, but awhile back I picked up an "open box" Odyssea 30" (24" tubes) 6500K T5HO from eBay for $26 shipped...well actually $40 along with a box of 4 replacement lamps.. (Shhhh! don't tell the missus). I plan to use it on my 29g.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Thanks Joel! I may have to find a similar bulbs only deal, I have enough fixtures, I'm not willing to buy LEDs ATM . I have the 3inch? legs that came w/HO fixture...but freaking high ceilings, so trying to suspend them over that tank is not an option for this tank, lol.

The main problem with strapping co2 tanks is aesthetic for the most part. The 20g long is in my living room & there is no way to fit it in my "stand" (a cool, expandable buffet-like thing). So, I'm torn between building a "matching wood box-like enclosure" (...maybe well beyond my skill set) or using a decorative throw? etc, to hide it.

Or skip the looks for now until I learn some basic co2 & plan to move co2 to my 75g...it may or not fit under 75g's stand either (although it's a standard pine stand)...It was under a similar 55g stand... I don't see how it could be fit in there & be serviced, but it was...

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Suspending the light is still very doable without using the ceiling. There are tons of designs for light hangers made out of PVC, wood or metal tubes. They can attach to the wall, the back of the stand or free standing with their our feet. If you were interested in LED the cheap-o LED I got for my 29g would be great on a 20 long with co2.

If the co2 tank won't fit under the stand I recommend some sort of enclosure still. You don't want anyone bumping into it and accidentally adjusting anything or pulling an airline tube off or something. Even without earthquake considerations a CO2 tank should always be secured in some way. I always strap mine in with a bungee cord or the strapping with holes in it. I wouldn't be comfortable with a throw over my CO2 system. Then again me and my life are accident prone so I like to be careful. :)

Unless your rig is extra tall I see no reason why it wouldn't fit under a regular 55 or 75 stand. As far as servicing goes all you need to do is remove/replace it and have access to the knobs, nothing that requires much extra room.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
fishorama, is dosing with a glutaraldehyde product for CO2 an option for you? Perhaps not as good as the real thing, but it eliminates the hardware associated with it.

FWIW, I just put the Odyssea 30" T5HO I mentioned above on the hood of my 29g It actually fits nicely in place of the T8 strip light that came with the Perfecto hood. Now to use that T8 strip light on my goldffish tank..

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't suggest that Gluteraldehyde is a good equivalent to CO2 gas being injected.

The latest information I have on the way glut product work is that they kill off the microalgeas on the plant leaves, allowing them to better use the CO2 in the aquarium.. Not sure this will suffice for plants that need higher levels of CO2 or not, or if it would just keep algae in check in the aquarium.

Personally, I'm not a big proponent of Glut due to it's toxisity, not sure I'd want a spill of it, or anything to happen with children or pets.

In my experience, with CO2 tznks and stands, the tank will normally fit in most standard stands, but the regulator orientation and such can play a part in it fitting. you can always downsize tanks if it fits better, if you have space under the current tank, would a paintball tank be a more out of the way option?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store