Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

27.7g tank + Aquascaping (WIP)

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by rockarolla70, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. dougall

dougall ...

Yesterday at 6:39 PM
    Manual removal?

Squirting peroxide at them?

I wouldn't suggest getting more animals to take care of these.. assassin snails will also reproduce pretty easily as well, and the eggs are more difficult to see

rockarolla70 likes this.
  2. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Tuesday at 2:43 PM
    Sheila
    I second the manual removal option. Keeping the feeding light--at this point, are there any other animals in there? If not, then manually removing them as you see them and crushing eggs should wipe them out pretty quickly. They only reproduce when there is a BUNCH of food available. That said, I happen to like snails and don't mind them in reasonable levels.

3. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Today at 7:12 AM
    Krish
    dougall & OrionGirl >> Firstly thanks for the suggestion. Secondly there are no other livestock in there. Livestock will be in only by next week.

4. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Today at 1:55 AM
    Snails aren't necessarily the evil that a lot of people say they are, either. They can help keep things clean, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails will turn your substrate, much like earthworms in the garden. I think assassin snails are prettier than pond snails, and while they can definitely reproduce in your tank, they're not hermaphroditic so you'll have to have both sexes and they don't reproduce rapidly.

rockarolla70 likes this.
  5. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Yesterday at 2:10 PM
    Joel
    Agree on the snails. Most of my tanks have Malaysian trumpet snails. They're a good indicator of if you're feeding too much. If you see them everywhere you are putting too much food in the tank. The downside is they can jamb up the works in filter impellers. More so a problem with HOB style filters.

rockarolla70 likes this.
  6. authmal

authmal Pseudonovice

Today at 1:55 AM
    Prefilters are the easy answer to that, and they have the added benefit of being more surface area for biological filtration. I have, and will always have, them on all of my HOBs. Mine are a bit more DIY, because I don't buy a dedicated prefilter most of the time. I take an AC20 sponge, cut an X in it deep enough for the intake to fit in, and slide it up. Added benefit? I can buy a new filter for a new tank, take that sponge and either use it inside the media basket or as the prefilter, and have some biological filtration instantly.

I still did daily water tests and changes on a just in case basis, but my betta is loving it.

FreshyFresh and OrionGirl like this.
  7. rockarolla70

rockarolla70 AC Members

Krish
    Today at 7:12 AM
    Krish
    I was wondering the if I have black ground (backdrop) will not bring down the brightness in the tank to some extent ??

8. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Tuesday at 2:43 PM
    Sheila
    Depends on what you want to be bright. Right now, the background is the brightest thing...if it were black, the interior items would be so they would stand out more. Shadow is just as important as light in terms of directing the gaze.