27.7g tank + Aquascaping (WIP)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Manual removal?

Squirting peroxide at them?

I wouldn't suggest getting more animals to take care of these.. assassin snails will also reproduce pretty easily as well, and the eggs are more difficult to see

Reactions: rockarolla70

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I second the manual removal option. Keeping the feeding light--at this point, are there any other animals in there? If not, then manually removing them as you see them and crushing eggs should wipe them out pretty quickly. They only reproduce when there is a BUNCH of food available. That said, I happen to like snails and don't mind them in reasonable levels.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
I second the manual removal option. Keeping the feeding light--at this point, are there any other animals in there? If not, then manually removing them as you see them and crushing eggs should wipe them out pretty quickly. They only reproduce when there is a BUNCH of food available. That said, I happen to like snails and don't mind them in reasonable levels.
dougall & OrionGirl >> Firstly thanks for the suggestion. Secondly there are no other livestock in there. Livestock will be in only by next week.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Snails aren't necessarily the evil that a lot of people say they are, either. They can help keep things clean, and Malaysian Trumpet Snails will turn your substrate, much like earthworms in the garden. I think assassin snails are prettier than pond snails, and while they can definitely reproduce in your tank, they're not hermaphroditic so you'll have to have both sexes and they don't reproduce rapidly.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Agree on the snails. Most of my tanks have Malaysian trumpet snails. They're a good indicator of if you're feeding too much. If you see them everywhere you are putting too much food in the tank. The downside is they can jamb up the works in filter impellers. More so a problem with HOB style filters.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The downside is they can jamb up the works in filter impellers. More so a problem with HOB style filters.
Prefilters are the easy answer to that, and they have the added benefit of being more surface area for biological filtration. I have, and will always have, them on all of my HOBs. Mine are a bit more DIY, because I don't buy a dedicated prefilter most of the time. I take an AC20 sponge, cut an X in it deep enough for the intake to fit in, and slide it up. Added benefit? I can buy a new filter for a new tank, take that sponge and either use it inside the media basket or as the prefilter, and have some biological filtration instantly.

I still did daily water tests and changes on a just in case basis, but my betta is loving it.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on what you want to be bright. Right now, the background is the brightest thing...if it were black, the interior items would be so they would stand out more. Shadow is just as important as light in terms of directing the gaze.

rockarolla70

AC Members
Oct 8, 2018
Bangalore, India
Real Name
Krish
Folks, the tanks got installed at home 13 days back with 4th water change & one more water change is tomorrow. Initially had 14 cherry shrimps on the first day & a week back introduced 4 Otocinclus Vestitus. All the live stock are doing well & I think finally the driftwood is clear of the fungus.

Firstly tomorrow there is a scheduled 5th water change and servicing of the tank by the aquatic maintenance guys according to them they state that the tank is cycled & is matured, however they do check all the parameters. The first batch of 12 cardinal tetra + 15 cherry shrimps will be released tomorrow.

Secondly as I had mentioned before I wanted a batch of 12 Harlequin Raboras, but unfortunately there is a delay in the imports & other admin problems relating to imports, so my service provider suggesting me to have Espe'sRasboras ... what do you think ?? any suggestions.

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 7.15.13 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 6.52.47 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 5.27.32 PM(2).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 5.27.32 PM(1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-22 at 5.27.32 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-27 at 5.46.02 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-27 at 5.37.22 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-10-27 at 5.37.21 PM.jpeg

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I *love* espeis! I had some, great activity, they really pop under proper lighting, and totally non-aggressive. I figure I'm going to stock my 55 with 2 more schools/shoals of fish (I'm removing the embers, and putting them into my 10) and I'm waffling between espeis, microdevario kubotai, and rummy nose tetras. At the end of the day, it's probably going to depend on if I'm willing to roll the dice on shipping fish, because I know a place that has espeis and rummies in store most of the time, and it's not too far away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store