315G Plywood Tank Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
looking very nice, I have a couple questions:
1) in the tank you have 2 black grills on the back of the tank, what are they and where did you get them?
http://www.flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?product=BulkheadFittingsStandard

2) On the viewing glass, you mentioned using silicon to adhere it, will this be silicon only and clamped tight while drying and no hardware?
When I go to install the glass in the tank, the tank will be laid face down so the weight of the glass will do the work for me. I will most likely add a little weight on top of the glass but not very much. After all of the silicone is cured, I will be applying PC to the seam as well.

3) how many layers of the pond coat is needed to fully seal the wood? In post 32, the top chamber of the sump looks like the wood grain is still showing thru so I was wondering about the thickness.
I ended up putting about 8 coats on the tank and 6 on the sump. The picture of the sump standing on it's ends was after a coat or 2 and the lines you are seeing are from the brush more then the wood grain.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
I got the filter sock assemblies mounted in their final resting place. I had to add a 1" piece of aluminum tubing to each end of the sump. I noticed that the top of the filter socks were level with the first overflow wall. I didn't want to cut the walls down and reseal them so I raised the socks. I also changed the plumbing leading into the return pump. The holes in the PVC really served no purpose. I added 45 degree downturns to the ends of the pipe to pulll water more from the bottom of the sump. Also went down along the river with the wife and collected some driftwood.

CIMG1547.JPG CIMG1548.JPG CIMG1549.JPG

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
How much per gallon did the pond coat cost? The industrial stuff (permi-dry) is really expensive!!!! How much does it cover, you know how the suggest coverage doesnt always live up to real life conditions. I have been using permi-dry products on industrial applications for over 2 years and I really like its performance.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
It ran me $231.00 for 5 gallons. As far as coverage goes, I painted the tank about 8 times and the sump 6 times and I used about 3 gallons. I guess the tank is about 60 sq ft and the sump another 35 sq ft.

BadOleRoss

AC Members
Jan 3, 2010
this looks awesome!

Are you building it in place or are you renting a crane and forklift to move it?
Its gotta be heavy as heck!
I will be moving the tank, by myself, on Wednesday. I have a plan, a master plan. I am the proud owner of a very large hand truck with a 1000lb weight capasity. I plan on placing the tank on the hand truck and straping it down. Then, I am going to install 2 handles on the tank. I will lift the handles and roll the tank like a great big wheebarrow. I will do the same with the stand. Once inside the house, I will install the glass. The tank only weights 200lbs or so....not too bad. I will take pics of this event.

FISHSHROD

FI double SH ROD
Aug 18, 2005
Pompano Beach,Fl.
Real Name
Mark
Looking good, and the wood is nice also !

lousybreed

Aquaria Central Site Controller
Sep 7, 2004
Bay Area, CA
It ran me $231.00 for 5 gallons. As far as coverage goes, I painted the tank about 8 times and the sump 6 times and I used about 3 gallons. I guess the tank is about 60 sq ft and the sump another 35 sq ft.
That's what I figured, we pay $250 for a five gallon bucket of their industrial stuff.

Did you ever think about using UGK Drylok? It says its for fish ponds......

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Nice build bro

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store