33 gallon build/log thread!!!!!!!!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
i just need some more peaople to confirm that i should do a 50% water cange and i will be good to go,
Best idea yet;)
I think one thing you can do to check to see if the tank is cycled is to dose the tank with a little ammonia (pure!!) and see if it disappears (bacteria doing it's job)...there is something about it in one of the cycling stickies at the top of this forum. I didn't do this, but I thought about it. It's the thought that counts, right? :D
Robbie

guppy1

Aquaria Central Supporter! Are You?
Mar 11, 2005
New York
haha, yea your right, thanks for your help i will dose it with mayby a cap full of ammonia? about have a tbls?
thanks,
Shane

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Excert from the cycling methods and procedures...Method 2

You can start off by adding X drops amount of NH3 until a level of 5ppm is achieved. This X amount of drops has to be added daily until the nitrITES spike. When the nitrITES spike dose the tank with ½ X (from previous step) amount of NH3 drops daily until nitrITE is 0ppm causing a nitrATE peak. Once again, once both NH3 and NO2 have checked out at 0ppm over several days, and your tank is cycled, do a large water change to reduce the NO3. I personally don’t like this method a whole lot since it stresses out the tank a fair bit.
Niko

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
well i added ammonia last night to see if my tank is cycled, i put a cap full of ammonia in the tank that was at 2:00am, this moring i checked it at 10:30am and it is at 1.5, so should i add more or see if that goes away in the 18hr period, and if it does go away in 18 hrs my tank is cycled right? It has been 8 in a half hrs, so it could have gone up while i was sleeping and know it is going down? is that a possibility!!!!lol,
thanks,
Shane

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
well i just checked my ammonia level, and it is a little lower, so it has about 4 hours left before it hits the 18hr mark, so we will see what happens, can it be more than 18 hrs for 3ppm to go away?,
thanks,
Shane

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
well i just checked the ammonia again and it is getting shyer of 1.5, when i first started it was at 3 i put 1.5 above couse i was supposed to let the test sit 20min before tacking the reading and i forgot t do that so i just took the reading, then i went back to it later in th day and the test was reading 3 so it went down 50% since thismornig! so that is good right?

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
ok well this mornig my ammonia was at 0.25, culd my tanks still be cycled even tho it took more that 18hrs for the ammonia to go away?
thanks,
Shane

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
cool!

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
ok well this mornig my ammonia was at 0.25, culd my tanks still be cycled even tho it took more that 18hrs for the ammonia to go away?
thanks,
Shane
Again, I'm still a newb, but maybe 3ppm could've been a little high for a test to see if your tank is ready to handle fish? I assume that it would take longer for a higher concentration of ammonia to be "eaten" than a lower concentration. Is it back down to 0 by now?
Robbie

guppy1

Mar 11, 2005
New York
i believe it is back down to 0, but i just ran out of ammonia, today i am going to the pet shop i thik, i am getting more LS, LR, Metal heater, test kits, distilled water, a nice power head or 2, maybe some nice mj 1200's if he has them, then i am gunna check out his fish and see what he stocks, buty that is if we go to the petshop today!!!!
Shane

also, i have been really busy working and the holiday, plus we had faily from out of state, so i kinda got distracted, but i am back!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store