37 Gallon Tank (Tall). Looking for Unique/Strange stocking ideas!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
Hi everyone!

My boyfriend gifted me with a 37 gallon tank. it is 30 H by 12 W by 22 H. It's tall!

I'm looking for stocking ideas that people don't usually do. I say this because I'm tired of the usual stockings. Angelfish, Gouramis, Tetras, Rasboras.... Some of these are okay, but I don't want the usual stuff!

Any ideas for stocking this kind of tank? It's taller, so I need something for sure to swim near the top.

Some fish I've been eyeing:

-Glass catfish
- Spotted Blue Eyes
- American Flag Fish
- Halfbeaks
- Killifish (in general)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Sounds like you've got some good ideas for starters..

What type of substrate and décor? Plants?

37's are arm soakers for sure when the need to reach bottom arises!

Kaitlyn

AC Members
Sep 20, 2017
Sounds like you've got some good ideas for starters..

What type of substrate and décor? Plants?

37's are arm soakers for sure when the need to reach bottom arises!
Yeah, the tank is so tall... my whole arm fits inside of it!!

Anyways, im going for black sand for sure, and it will be a fully planted tank, along with some driftwood that im working on curing right now (DIY-ing my driftwood to save sooo much money!)

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Be careful with wanting a fully planted tank.. being so deep it will be more difficult to light. So having plants that will handle lower light conditions will be a good thing.

Crypt retrospiralis should work, as should bucephelandra species, Java fern, bolbitis, anubias and things like that. Some vals may do ok too.

As for stock, we have wild bettas in ours, they breed and do fairly well.. there may be a nerite or 2, and maybe some ninja shrimp.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
With the ultra tall tank, you may want to just use floating plants assuming you plan on adding plants.
A good filter is particularly important, as there is less surface area for oxygen exchange.
As for stocking, I like your idea of killifish for the upper regions; the others listed would be fine as well.
I'm not a livebearer fan but they do swim all over the tank and would fill it up better than most shoaling fish.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Using labyrinth fish will mostly alleviate the relatively small footprint of the tank ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store