$50 craiglist 225 tank/cabinet/canopy DIY refurbish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mott

AC Members
Apr 7, 2008
Gunner, you only need like 1.5 WPG to grow a LOT of low light plants, very easy to care for with not much maintenance. Foreground plants are another thing, most will need high light, ferts and Co2.

Be warned! once the plant bug is seeded it's almost impossible to stop :)

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Beautifully done!
Don't let too much of that sunshine in,or your you'll have an algae bloom to deal with.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Beautifully done!
Don't let too much of that sunshine in,or your you'll have an algae bloom to deal with.
Oh man what happened to your cat avatar, Id love to have your cat LOL. I have blinds and thick drapes to control the lighting and my "Green killing machine' really keeps the algae and blooms away. Only reason I had the one I did was becasue you cant use a UV sterilizer when initially cycling a new aquarium.

I just got back from the desert 10 miles from my back yard near the cinder cone. I for got to get pictures where these rocks have been sitting undisturbed since they landed on the ground 5 miles from where they blew out 2.3 M years ago. Ill post pics as soon as I get them inside I have to be careful of the weight easing the heavy ones inside on twine.

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
Oh man what happened to your cat avatar, Id love to have your cat LOL. I have blinds and thick drapes to control the lighting and my "Green killing machine' really keeps the algae and blooms away. Only reason I had the one I did was becasue you cant use a UV sterilizer when initially cycling a new aquarium.

I just got back from the desert 10 miles from my back yard near the cinder cone. I for got to get pictures where these rocks have been sitting undisturbed since they landed on the ground 5 miles from where they blew out 2.3 M years ago. Ill post pics as soon as I get them inside I have to be careful of the weight easing the heavy ones inside on twine.
LOL,it's Halloween man! She'll be back!You wouldn't want her,she's obnoxious!!!

Good luck with the rocks,and be careful!Can't wait to see more pics!

P.S. I think there is a couple of pics of her in my gallery.

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
Need experienced advice about heavy rocks on the bottom. The 3 lava stones you see below weight about 40 pounds each for a total of 120 pounds. Does anyone know any tricks to setting them in gently, I'm was planning on using a slip knot on twine then slipping the line off and using my grabbers to position the rocks. Is there anything crucial I should know about as far as bedding? I was planning on just using the sand but I also know that cichlids excavate around ornaments. Although my bottom is tempered glass (5X strong) I was wondering if there is some standard padding or footing thats used i.e. foam?

67chevelle

Basset Hound
Jul 30, 2008
people have been known to use 'egg crate' not the stuff you put on your bed to make it softer, but the plastic stuff that goes in commercial 3x5 commercial fluorescent fixtures. available at home depot, lowes, menards, ace, etc....
^what coach said^(love the avatar coach)
Great find on those rocks!

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I remember the LFS owner explaining that he had his 500 gallon salt water live rock (boulders) habitat on top of egg cartons, I was trying to picture how many eggs he had to eat to save up enough egg cartons and how they managed to keep their shape not wanting to ask too many questions. But your talking about some kind of mess plastic right? OK

I think perhaps Im being too aggressive realizing that these solid masses of rack will displace proportional amounts of water and oxygen. So I think Im going to use these rocks for landscaping and try something completely different. Im going to buy black silicone and try making hollow dome shaped (stackable) caves using golf ball size lava rocks. If I make them a standard size more or less I should be able to stack-tie them making it easy to assemble a large high stone pyramid with lots of outer chambers and one large central chamber in the middle of the cone shaped pyramid, each 5 pound cave leaning toward the center stable, easy to stack and easy to unstack yet looking like one big rock formation when assembled but hollow saving allot of water displacement. What do you think?

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store