55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Ahh, I can see the confusion. I was talking about my qt tank right before I asked about the sand. I meant my 55 gallon. Hmm, my fish are messy, so I suppose black would be better?
Doesn't the sand basically compact itself around the roots and make it so that no nutrients can get to the roots? I have no experience with sand whatsoever so this may be a dumb question :/.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I realized I forgot to tell y'all the right date as to when I put the African butterfly fish into at, it was 3 weeks ago. And I personally believe that if a fish is perfectly fine and showing no symptoms of anything and eating well for 3 weeks, then they are ready to go into the main tank. So I'm gonna be moving them to my 55 today. I'm not gonna move the Cory's yet because they are so small I'm sure someone would try to eat them. Gonna give them a while to grow before I move them.
And I know some people may not agree with my views on qt'ing fish, but I haven't loss a fish doing it this way yet so I'm inclined to keep doing so.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Well, I forgot to do it yesterday and I've been thinking about it today. I think I'm gonna wait a while longer until I can actually get my glass lids on my 55 because I'm afraid my angelfish or leaf fish might intimidate or scare them into jumping out.

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
If there is no lid don't put thr butterflies in. They jump like no tomorrow

I love black sand, it looks amazing

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I beg to differ, I have only seen my butterflies jump once and that was when I was acclimating them. They didn't jump even when they were making the 6 hour trip from florida to my home. my niece even ran straight into my dresser that is holding their tank and they didn't even flinch. I strongly believe that their jumping is exaggerated or I just have some lazy butterflies. The latter option I doubt since I got my group of 4 from 2 different locations.
Also, my first butterfly never jumped. So I believe that those rumors about butterflies jumping a lot are just bs.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I believe the rumor that they jump a lot comes from the fact that they would jump to catch most of their food.
Btw, the tank that they are in now only has a narrow strip of covering where the light strip goes over. In all and all, there is roughly 50-75 percent of the surface uncovered and they have NEVER jumped while in the tank.

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
You never know until it happens.

I had a paradise fish jump twice when I lifted the lid slightly to feed them, I had a pink tail chalceus that routinely smacked the lid same with my butterfly. You never know until it happens :(

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
If my butterfly fish ever do jump out, they better hope they die before I get my hands on them -_-

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Hey y'all, I have a question concerning my African butterfly fish. I currently have four just chilling in qt even though it's been a month, I'm waiting for three of them to get a bit bigger. Anyway, one of them is pretty big and one of them is pretty scrawny. It goes like this, one scrawny, two a bit bigger then Mr.scrawny, and one that is about 1/3 bigger then them. If I were to put them on a scale with Mr.scrawny being a 1, the twomedium sized ones are a 1.5 and the biggest one being a 2-2.2.5.
Mr.scrawny is well.....scrawny. The other two were around his size when I got them all but it seems like Mr.scrawny didn't get to grow much. The complete opposite happened to the biggest one. He grew about half an inch while the two medium ones only grew about a fourth of an inch. The big one is a bit of a bully to Mr.scrawny and I'm sure he is the reason Mr.scrawny hasnt grown. Should I move him to my 55 to let the others catch up on growth? I'm worried about doing this because of what tends to happen in trios of fish like tiger barbs if I remember correctly. The 2 biggest fish pick on the smallest until it dies then the biggest ends up killin the other one til it is left.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Forgot to mention this yesterday day. Either one or two of my butterfly fish will sometimes sit on the plants on the bottom. Its no secret that they are almost exclusively top dwellers and rarely go below the top. Can anyone find an explanation for this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store