55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Nope, it had a toilet, a bathtub, and a sink.
Anyway, I have made a few changes in stocking. I want to get yalls opinion on it.
1 Angel fish
1 Ctenopoma acutirostre
1 Rainbow loach
2 bristlenose plecos
6 pictus catfish
and 10-12 cories.
I'm considering 2-4 african butterfly fish
I'm thinking that I'm over stocked somewhat. I can't tell how much though.
Any advice is much appreciated
Ok, you called it a half bath but said it had a tub so I was confused, half bath to me usually means toilet and sink only. Got it now.

What are your parameters? I prefer to determine "stocked" levels by parameters. Unless we are talking territory and the bottom is a bit busy there but they aren't aggressive just active.

I see you avoided my request for pictures. :) Now that I know there are pictus involved I really want pics!

Last edited:

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Actually, if you check back on the first page you will see that these are my plans actually. But I did set the tank up a while ago. More like a few weeks ago. I had a couple of the fish from the plan in another tank so I moved those fish from that tank to the 55 and the filters as well. All I have in the 55 at the moment is the angel fish, the Ctenopoma acutirostre, about 8 cories, the plecos, and the loach. Actually, the loach is still in my 75 with my oscar. Gonna move him today.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Nope, it had a toilet, a bathtub, and a sink.
Anyway, I have made a few changes in stocking. I want to get yalls opinion on it.
1 Angel fish
1 Ctenopoma acutirostre
1 Rainbow loach
2 bristlenose plecos
6 pictus catfish
and 10-12 cories.
I'm considering 2-4 african butterfly fish
I'm thinking that I'm over stocked somewhat. I can't tell how much though.
Any advice is much appreciated
a few things:
1.) yes, it's overstocked but if you keep up on your WCs, about 60-90% weekly you should be fine, I've overstocked worse.
2.) Watch the aggression on the Leaf-fish and Butterfly fish - I have never kept them but I never talked to anyone who didn't say they weren't aggressive in some shape or form
3.) even though you lose water volume by adding rocks and wood and pipes for hiding spaces, it makes it much easier to manage an overstocked tank, so make sure there are plenty of them.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Lol, well I'm going to be the first one then. I have kept each and I've never had any problems with either. The butterfly was very peaceful and didn't bother anyone. The leaf fish just swims around and does his own thing. Odd thing is, I've never seen him eat. I think he goes after the bottom feeder pellets I put in for my cories while I'm not watching. I think it helps with aggression that I got him when he was just an inch. Hmm, would it be bad if I took out the pipes,rocks, and wood out each week to clean it easier? I have it as a bare bottom tank and would like to keep it that way for the most part. What are the rocks for? I don't see any purpose. Also, I plan on doing about 2 water changes throughout the week along with my main water change on the weekend. I'm thinking about somewhere from 205-50% for those changes. You see, the cory pellets I use come apart rather quickly and after it does they refuse to eat it and it gathers in a pile. I've been trying to find a suitable replacement pellet for them for a while now.
Btw, I just convinced my mom to get me another python. After my last one didnt work, I kinda threw it in a fire in a bit of rage :/. Not gonna throw this one in a fire,lol.

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
Lol, well I'm going to be the first one then. I have kept each and I've never had any problems with either. The butterfly was very peaceful and didn't bother anyone. The leaf fish just swims around and does his own thing. Odd thing is, I've never seen him eat. I think he goes after the bottom feeder pellets I put in for my cories while I'm not watching. I think it helps with aggression that I got him when he was just an inch. Hmm, would it be bad if I took out the pipes,rocks, and wood out each week to clean it easier? I have it as a bare bottom tank and would like to keep it that way for the most part. What are the rocks for? I don't see any purpose. Also, I plan on doing about 2 water changes throughout the week along with my main water change on the weekend. I'm thinking about somewhere from 205-50% for those changes. You see, the cory pellets I use come apart rather quickly and after it does they refuse to eat it and it gathers in a pile. I've been trying to find a suitable replacement pellet for them for a while now.
Btw, I just convinced my mom to get me another python. After my last one didnt work, I kinda threw it in a fire in a bit of rage :/. Not gonna throw this one in a fire,lol.
1.) don't burn plastic, it's bad for the environment and depletes the ozone
2.) try Hikari sinking gold
3.) WCs are pointless for nitrate removal if you do less than 50%. Always do at least 50% because of nitrate creep
4.) rocks can be stacked along the back of the tank to create naturalistic caves and hide spaces (see my thread in the cichlids section for examples)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
#1 noted
#2 hikari sinking gold, do you think my leaf fish would eat it as well?
#3 noted
#4 I'll take a look at your thread

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Well, one of my bristlenose plecos died. Now I'm down to one. She wasn't a young one when I got her. I'm not sure but I think she was already in old age when I got her. I'm just glad I got the chance to bring her into my life for the time I had with her. Anyway, the stocking is the same except 1 bristlenose pleco instead of 2.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Hey yall, I have a funny story for y'all. Well. I sent my mom into Petco to run and grab me some more fish food (I was doing something for her at home) and she ended up coming back with the food and what she assumed was a bristlenose pleco. She was remembered that mine had died recently and I was still a bit sad about it, so she went and bought it. Turned out the guy at Petco didn't know anything and sold me mom a $55 green phantom pleco as a $6 bristlenose pleco :). There's no way I'm going to return him if I can help it. I've done some research on him and I've gotten mixed results about him and my bn. Will those two get along? I have drift wood I'm planning to put in the tank for them to use

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store