55 gallon stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Lucky dog!

I have no personal experience with them but a little reading does say that males can be very territorial to anything that would seem to be a threat and a BN would fit that category. But if your green phantom turns out to be a girl I think they would be fine. Observation is key.

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I googled the sexual differences between green phantom plecos and it looks like I'll have to wait until the little dude grows up a bit before I can say what sex it is.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Saw a label for green phantom pleco $60 today but didn't see the pleco itself. I thought of this story. :)

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
Haha, I was lucky that I had such good luck :p.
I have 4 African butterfly fish in quarantine along with 2 bronze and 2 albino cory's.
I want yalls opinion on this, should I put sand in it? Currently it's bare bottom but I wouldn't mind having about 18 inches planted on one side along with vals running along the back side. I've never done sand before and this tank is already stocked so I'm not so sure how I would even go about adding sand to it.

Hendre

AC Members
Sep 7, 2016
Depends what sand. I use "volcanic" black sand and it sinks straight down, I just turn off the filters, dropi it in, flatten it out and then let it settle

evil wizard

AC Members
Aug 17, 2014
Georgia
Real Name
Brian
I've read that pool filter sand is good and cost effective.
If I do get sand, I think in gonna get white

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Wait, are you asking about adding sand to your QT tank? If so, the answer is a resounding no. You want your QT tank to be as bare and easily cleaned as possible. Plus once you start adding substrate and decor it too easily becomes a display tank lol.

If you are talking about adding it to the 55g than yes do it! I love sand substrates and PFS is a great choice. It's not really white though, more of a light brown/tan color, very natural looking IMO.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Pool sand color depends on where you live, it's all locally sourced...you can always ask to see it, there's almost always "spillage" in the back room. I don't like really white PFS, it shows all the "dirt".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store