7 UK Gallon Reef Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
As people were aware, i brought a blinding deal off eBay for a little nano reef setup. My log for this tank has been started and i have decided to make best use of the new Blog system that is now in place, up and running here on Aquaria Central.

Put a link to my blog below. Please feel free to post and leave comments on there on the progress of the tank. All i will be posting here in this thread is any questions i want to ask, issues i come across or when an update has been posted on my blog..

Here is my blog.

Niko

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Has anybody got an explanation to the formation of the chunk of live rock in the first picture of this blog entry?

We has Live Rock

Its a very strange formation. if i turn the rock over, it looks and feels exactly like fiji rock..its like a calcerous covering to the rock...any help or thoughts please?

Niko

Grins

Girl Reefer...we do exist
May 1, 2007
Charlotte, NC
lol, it really is an odd rock Niko. It reminds me of a few things but nothing that really belongs in SW other than it looking like a macro shot of what a former porite and Christmas Tree worm formation would be. Odd really.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
other than it looking like a macro shot of what a former porite and Christmas Tree worm formation would be. Odd really.
Yes, i think this is the answer thank you...pulled it out and looked at the rock under a magnifying glass, and you can see better that its a dead coral skeleton..Still does not explain what the tubes were...maybe a colony of tube worms perhaps? dunno to be honest...

Thanks for all suggestions..of course, any more would be veyr welcome indeed..

Niko

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
I posted in your blog but, hey never ashamed to post twice. It was either a worm colony growing inside the living coral colony or maybe and encrusting coral that surronded a colony of tube worms. There is also the possiblility that it was another critter like a rock boring sponge etc. but, that's a bit less likely.
it's nice what ever it is.

Reefscape

Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Just thought i would throw up an updated pic here on the thread for anybody who is not following the blog..

Oh, and current water params

pH - 8.3
Ammonia - 1.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 20

Niko

100_1931.jpg 100_1932.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store