90 Litre Tank Stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Pitt Meadows (within Greater Vancouver, BC) Canada
Real Name
Byron
I'm actually going to get Julii Corys instead because the people in my LFS recommended them to me. So the stocking is: 3 Honey Gourami, 6 Harlequin Rasbora, 6 Cherry Barb, 6 Julii Cory and about 12 Cherry Shrimp.
Only comment on this is to stay with one shoaling fish, and I would suggest the rasbora over the barbs. Add a couple more, say 8-9 rasbora; this species, as indeed all the rasbora, are quite quiet and shy and more is always better. If you prefer the cherry barb, fine, then say 7 of those. But not both together with everything else; these fish may seem very small now when you buy them, but they will grow unless they become stunted and live for several years.

Byron.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
Ok I think I'll go for the rasbora. Since I'm only getting these with some honey gourami and some corys, I might up the number of rasbora to about 10-12. Thanks for your help. I've planted the tank today and bought a masters test kit as well. Hopefully I should be able to add the first fish or shrimp in a couple of weeks.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
Ok I think I'll go for the rasbora. Since I'm only getting these with some honey gourami and some corys, I might up the number of rasbora to about 10-12. Thanks for your help. I've planted the tank today and bought a masters test kit as well. Hopefully I should be able to add the first fish or shrimp in a couple of weeks.
If you have fast-growing plants (some, not all necessarily) you can add the shrimp now. Cycling is a bit different with lots of plants. Floating plants are ideal here, as they are very fast growing (thus taking up lots of ammonia). And you want floating plants for the gourami and rasbora or they will be very skittish and frightened.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I have some vallis at the back and a few plants that the guy in the shop called swords but I know they're not Amazon Swords because their leaves are more leaf shaped than long and thin. I'll get some floating plants and maybe a moss ball as well because the shrimp like them.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
I have some vallis at the back and a few plants that the guy in the shop called swords but I know they're not Amazon Swords because their leaves are more leaf shaped than long and thin. I'll get some floating plants and maybe a moss ball as well because the shrimp like them.
A warning about "moss balls". These are commonly formed from an algae called cladophora. It can spread all over the tank and turn into a real pest. FYI.

Mark

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
From what I've read, they are OK if you roll them occasionally so they stay in the ball shape. Also, from what I've read, it's best to only put shrimp in once the tank is cycled but from what Byron's said, I could put them in tomorrow. I'm not really sure what to do. I want to have some critters in my tank to make it interesting while it's cycling but obviously I want them to stay healthy so if it's recommended not to put them in then I wont'.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Shrimp add very little bioload to a tank in terms of ammonia. Some are very sensitive to ammonia so may not be the best addition for cycling. If I had to suggest a shrimp species during the cycle, I'd say ghost shrimp.

Mark

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
At the moment, I've been looking at cherry shrimp for my tank. Would they be ok? Also, apparently Ghost Shrimp are very sensitive to ammonia but I'm not completely sure.

Byron Amazonas

AC Members
Jul 22, 2013
Real Name
Byron
On the shrimp, I will bow to those with direct experience. I've only once had shrimp, they arrived in the bag with pygmy corys as it happened. I've never really considered shrimp only because most prefer moderately hard water (for the calcium for the exoskeleton) which I do not have, but also I think they would get eaten in most of my tanks. So whatever others suggest re shrimps, OK with me.

On the moss balls, I've never really liked these, and I have heard what Mark said, so this is up to you.

To your other plants, Echinodorus species (Amazon swords) come in many species with differing leaf shapes. But, there are also plants sold in stores that are "swords" and not Echinodorus. And some of these are not aquatic but true terrestrial. With a photo if possible someone may be able to identify them for you.

Vallisneria is a nice plant, fairly fast growing, so this is good for the cycling issue. I would get some floaters though, as you will need them anyway. Water Sprite is perhaps my favourite, but others are Water Lettuce, Frogbit, and some of the stem plants make good floaters. I especially like Brazilian Pennywort here.

No mention has been made of your lighting and that obvious impacts plants. While they are very general and subjective terms, we usually classify plants as low, moderate or bright light requiring. Valls and true swords are moderate to bright but will do fine in moderate (which is what I stay with). The floaters I mentioned are OK with moderate too.

You may need some fertilizers. We talked about GH previously, and left it that you probably have moderately hard (or harder) water, so no issues here with these plants or the shrimp.

Byron.

Avocet

AC Members
Jul 30, 2014
I'll try and upload a photo of one of the "swords".
You can sort of see the lighting level in the picture. The bulbs in there are a Power-Glo 15w T8 and an Aqua-Glo 15w T8.
WIN_20140805_202059.JPGWIN_20140805_202132 (2).JPG

WIN_20140805_202059.JPG WIN_20140805_202132 (2).JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store