ABS\PVC Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
ive been collecting alot of rocks lately. right behind my house in a new subdivision thats being built up with fill dirt. i scrub them clean with a brush, boil them for a few hours, give them the ole vinegar test and if they pass, its on to the tank. then monitor the water parameters for changes.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Yes.. Boiling will do the trick. But you cant boil ABS or PVC pipe. What type of rocks? I had to pay for mine...

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Cant Boil ABS...in the discussion previously, at a certain temp, the ABS pipe will leach toxins..

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I dont know and I dont care. Try it if you want.
1.) wash it- you should be fine.
2.) Bleach it- You will be 100 percent sure of no "hitchhikers" that cant be removed with a water washing....

jiggerpolebill

i have a key to the Twinsavr
Aug 16, 2002
Indy, IN, USA
Visit site
all kinds of rocks. all different shapes and sizes. white ones. pink ones. green ones. black ones. mostly sedimentary. some igneous. and, yes, maybe even a metamorphic or two! they look awesome.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Originally posted by jiggerpolebill
all kinds of rocks. all different shapes and sizes. white ones. pink ones. green ones. black ones. mostly sedimentary. some igneous. and, yes, maybe even a metamorphic or two! they look awesome.
Sounds like a GREAT assortment!!! lucky you..what part of the country are you in... and its all FREE!!! and you can pick and choose... :)

T

TnCgal

For the record, I'd like to interject here. There are a couple of different ways to sanitize rocks and other objects to make them suitable for your fishes' environment. One is that you can bleach them - as long as you rinse well. However, no soap or other cleansers ! These leave toxic residue ! :)

As a side note, it is perfectly safe to bleach rocks when cleaning them... just soak them in dechlorinated water for a night or two to remove the chlorine residue before you put them in your tank.

The other method is boiling, which is perfectly OK for things like rock or driftwood, but not recommended for plastic products because of leeching of dangerous chemicals that could inadvertantly end up in your tank.

While we are on the subject, this is also why fish experts advise against putting anything into your tank as a decoration that is not "approved for aquarium use", because of the leeching possibility. I personally talked to some one on a different forum recently that put brand new plastic reptile tunnels in her tank as caves for hiding places, and they looked nice, but after a few months the coating started to chip off from being in the water so long.

The rule of thumb is to remember that your fishes' healthy environment depends on you to be mindful of what you are using in their world and the bottom line should be that if you are unsure of it, then don't use it.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I never said heaters or filters...just stuff that you dont know where it came from...like the abs pipes and the rocks...who knows their history....I DOUBT that a heater was left outside without a box...

the Magick site listed the info at the top of the page...easier to read...the scientific paper you had to search the page (long) for it.. so I chose that website as it was easier to read..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store