ABS\PVC Question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Bleaching ensures purity entering your tank. Mearly washing does not kill many bacteria and Virus strains found in nature. Common fact.

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Im not going to debate this. Bleaching will ensure safety. Thats it. Nothing to debate. And I think Debating is a drug of choice for you, even if its a debate not needed (as in this case).

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I do have first hand experience.. I use bleach on everything that I have doubt before adding it. Its the ONLY safe way.

My articles actually come from valid sources.. yours? This is no debate. TNCGAL gave you the reasons to use it. I, and must other poeple here, respect her opinion over yours.. sorry..

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Now thats just sarcasm. It wont kill the fish (or even hurt) if you wash the bleach off before adding. :rolleyes:

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
Originally posted by JamisonBWolsh

IN additon, I think most people reading this will take the word of TNCGAL over a 18 year old SLIP.
Whats this about age? Its not how old you are that counts, its the advice you give and the validity of it. If you don't like how young the ppl giving advice are, I'd suggest you leave. Don't go around discriminating ppl because they are young, I take complete offense to that, as I am actually younger than Slip.

-Richer

JamisonBWolsh

Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Originally posted by Richer

Whats this about age? Its not how old you are that counts, its the advice you give and the validity of it. If you don't like how young the ppl giving advice are, I'd suggest you leave. Don't go around discriminating ppl because they are young, I take complete offense to that, as I am actually younger than Slip.

-Richer
I did not say anything about age? where did I say that?
I said "will take the word of TNCGAL over a 18 year old SLIP"

I didnt compare age... A 18 year old Slip is much different...

morleyz

This space for rent
Sep 26, 2002
Illinois
www.allaquatic.com
There's still one thing that I haven't seen a good answer to from the bleachers and boilers. What is is that we're trying to kill here? If I pull a rock out of the pond down the street, what exactly is it that's going to do harm? It just seems like there's this common misperception that the world around us is filled with viruses and bacterias, etc, etc...which is true of coure, but they're present everywhere. Do you really think you're bleaching is going to kill the bacteria? Maybe temporarily, but odds are they'll just get in another way. I guess I don't see any real harm in going that extra mile, but I still can't find a definitive answer from anyone about anything harm that would actually be done. You're probably taking a bigger risk adding a fish from the petstore than a rock from the neighbors pond.

And as far as age goes...I do have to say that I'm a bit older than slip (not quite enough to be his parent, but almost) and I certainly trust and benefit from a lot of his advice as much as the other youngin's and the older folks.

Last edited:

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
I don't bleach anything that goes into my tank...I have found that scrubbing with a brush under really hot water is easier...it saves a step, since you would have to do that regardless of whether you bleach the item in question or not...

I have taken plants, rocks, even fish out of my local ponds and streams and added them to my tank with no ill-effects. IMO, they are healthier and more natural than the stuff you buy from the lfs anyhow. AND much less likely to have stuff on/in them that will wreak havoc on your tank, such as spray paint (those neat little neon-colored rocks at WM) or snails (in those neat little potted plants)

I think bleach/no bleach is as personal of a choice as filtration type or substrate colors....

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
I dont think you have to worry about debating your elder here slip.

to aid in giving validation to his posted date of birth i submit the one I have listed.

I have yet to see one thing posted by your adversary that would indicate that he is actually the age he professes.

on the other hand I have seen much in his posts that indicate much the reverse.

let the kids play big guy. It makes em feel good slip:)

Last edited:

Stias'

AC Members
Dec 15, 2002
WI
Visit site
Wow, I cant believe I read this whole thread. Sombody owes me 20 minutes because I want my time back.

Quite a few statements being thrown around in such a way that implies (or states) that there is no other way it can be. That is a very counter productive way of teaching OR learning. Let me address just a few of them below.

JamisonBWolsh said
I dont know and I dont care. Try it if you want.
1.) wash it- you should be fine.
2.) Bleach it- You will be 100 percent sure of no "hitchhikers" that cant be removed with a water washing....

100%, yea right. Ever hear of black mold? Ever try to "bleach it away"? Didnt think so. Why not just say you like to bleach to reduce the chance of unwanted bacteria rather than make a blanket statement?

Reefscape said
Hey Slip,

Your right that plumbers dont bleach the pipes before installing them. But, if you are on a city water system You are drinking the stuff every day. So in a way, the city is bleaching the pipes for you.

When that is said it sounds like the citys are bleaching to clean your things and that running city over things would somewhat clean them due to the bleach (clorine or clorimine) in the water. Nothing could be further from the truth, they are mearly adding chemicals to keep the city water from getting people sick. To add more chemicals than nessary costs money so they only add as much as is needed. Once it leaves the city line and goes through the meter, its yours and they are not trying to clean your pipes, your fixtures, your plates or glasses, or even your mouth (which is very dirty in humans).

slipknottin said
so wouldnt that be the same as running the pipes under tap water?
No, see the above but I really think you didnt mean the above statment.

What do people with well water do? Do they use bleach or other chemicals to prevent bacteria from growing?
No, not that I know of, but I wouldnt doubt if sombody does, its a really big planet. I do know of one guy that bleached his well. I think its illegal but done somewhat commonly and its called shocking a well. Remove the cover to the casing, dump a gallon or two down then run every foccet in the house till you smell bleach, wait a day then run the foccets till you dont smell anything. The person I know did it because he is a single man living in a large house with many bathrooms and the water got kinda stagnet in the unused rooms. It smelled like a sink full of dirty dishes that hasent been washed in many days.

Anyway, now I think I will head to the garage and lighten the kegerator by a few ounces and finish watching the game. I hope nobody takes offence to being quoted, I didnt mean anything personal, just wanted to point out the blanket statements that were incorrect and how they dont help anybody, much less a new fish keeper who might be reading.

Stias'

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store