Another noob question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
^Good history to know. My main concern with hardware store sand is silicates and long term diatom blooms as a result. I'd rather pay the extra $15 to avoid that issue but it does suck to now know why I have to pay the extra :irked:.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
So the hardware stores sand has silica in it? If I use tht will it cause problems down the line?

It would cost me maybe $10 to fill my tank with playsand and over $60 to use aquarium grade sand... Which will cause less problems? I don't mind spending a little more money but I don't wanna spend a sheet ton

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Play sand and pool filter sand are both silica based sands. Play sand is a finer, light sand. Pool filter sand is a heavier more uniform grade. If you do end up using play sand, clean it heavily. That stuff clouds BADLY at first. Pool filter sand isn't as bad in that regard.

Finer sand can look better but is lighter, so in a high flow setup (are worse, one with diggers and sandsifters) it gets kicked up very easily. I wouldn't use it. Pool filter sand is just about perfect in that regards because even if it gets kicked up it sinks very easily.

I've never noticed much of a diatom problem. I do get a build up over the course of the week of brown algae (assuming it to be diatoms) but it is no worse then the green algae that would build up over the course of the week before. Both require(d) glass scraping. The green looked nicer though.

If you want less problems though then go with aragonite. As I said earlier, it isn't a simple cheaper alternative. There are trade-offs that may or may not be worth it, depending on the individual. If you want worry-free then aragonite is the way to go. The main reason I used pool filter sand is because I knew what to expect and was willing to accept that (and it was a $100+ difference).

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
^Good history to know. My main concern with hardware store sand is silicates and long term diatom blooms as a result. I'd rather pay the extra $15 to avoid that issue but it does suck to now know why I have to pay the extra :irked:.
Yep this is why I always spring for more expensive stuff in my SW tanks, the cheap stuff has done fine in my planted FW tanks but I rather pay a bit more now then run into some sort of trouble after the tanks established and have to change out the sand. I can get dry argo locally for under $20 for 20lbs bag its worth the peace of mind IMO.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
I don't mind $20 for 20lbs if it means a safer tank. What brand do you get? My LFS is crap and won't sell much.

I think I may go Argo because it's my first tank and every little thing tht can give me piece of mind will help me out

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Caribsea or Ocean Direct are the two most common I am aware of. Lots of options for grain sizes too.

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
Caribsea Fiji pink seems to me to be the standard to me. A 40 lb bag should be around 40 bucks. Maybe a little more.

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Awesome!! Thanks for everything guys I'm going to go out and get sand tomorrow il keep you guys posted on my progress

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332295411.768545.jpg
My buddy just gave me the tank, can't wait to get started

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1332295411.768545.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store