Another noob question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
If your LFS doesn't stock much drfosters has caribsea for like $24 a 20lbs bag, free shipping over $50 no sales tax. Amazon has it as well but IIRC not super saver eligible might be prime eligible.

I've used the fiji pink caribsea 'live' stuff before, not really live but I guess it might still contain some beneficial bacteria.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
The bacteria can survive quite a bit. Of course the other problem there is that if the "live" portion is simply bacteria then dry sand will turn into that rather rapidly if you have live rock.

Usually the best bet with live sand is to either buy/ask your LFS for sand from one of their display tanks, or simply but dry.

If you are only going FOWLR then you could do tap. RO is usually better though since it eliminates the multi-page list of potentially not-reef-safe items present in tap water. If you ever decide you want corals the water change is gonna be costly to convert to cleaner water. Easier to start out right, unless you have a supply of cheap/free water (ie: ocean nearby).

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
+100! RO/DI would be best though, especially if you think you will eventually add corals.

amazon4

AC Members
Mar 14, 2012
Arlington, MA
nems really need a stable tank. Inverts are very sensitive to changes in water parameters.

A general rule of thumb is wait a year. I think that's partly tank maturity and reefer maturity :rolleyes: For example, someone who's very experienced in reef keeping could set up a tank and add a nem in a month and be successful, as in not kill it. This is because they've all ready made all the mistakes in the past and can get a system up and running and stable much quicker than someone new to the hobby. Is it best for the nem? Does it thrive or just survive? dunno...

A pretty forgiving nem is a bubble tip. If you do decide to house a nem. Be sure to read up on them first. They do have very specific care reuirements from where they need to be placed in the tank (rocks vs. sand) to lighting requirements.

Nems also wander. So it can get sucked in to a powerhead, shredded, and nuke your tank. So there's a risk/reward factor too. Oh, and depending on the species, eat fish.

I happen to have a huge rose BTA in a 180. It's roughly 18" x 14". It was this size of a dime when I got it, lol. I'm not trying to dissuade you from nems, they're awesome. Just be sure to learn about them first. I've seen a lot of sad stories and people get discouraged. :(

AfishIonado

AC Members
Feb 26, 2012
Oklahoma
Yea I just wanted the green carpet and a few traditional anemones. I'm sure I won't get ten for a while I just like looking at my options.... Coral is where I really wanna go but I'm not touching that for a long time, years.

I'm going to get sand today and prob buy an RO system if I can find one in the city.

Another thing is power heads, I know fish and anemones need current, how many do you guys suggest I get? And where should I place them?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RNeiswander

Bunned
Nov 27, 2010
SW Ohio
You say now you don't want corals, but i bet you will once you get your tank setup. I said the same thing, but frags are fairly cheap. You'll see when you get it setup :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store