Any Sci-Fi Fantasy book fans out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I liked the ending, I also liked wizard and glass. It wasn't the greatest of the books but provided a lot of insight into Roland's character. I re-read it and enjoyed it much more the second time.

petluvr

AC Members
Jun 5, 2008
Podunk, Va.
Real Name
Larry
I liked the ending, I also liked wizard and glass. It wasn't the greatest of the books but provided a lot of insight into Roland's character. I re-read it and enjoyed it much more the second time.
I just thought for Stephen King it was a bit unoriginal. The ending I guess I didn't like because it had been such a HUGE build up, something like 7 thousand pages or better, of what Roland would find at the Dark Tower. It was just a let down to know that there was nothing at the Dark Tower other than Roland's beginning and end. A never ending loop just wasn't worth all the hype IMO

Ballyhoo

AC Members
Jun 27, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I thought it was perfect, Ka is a wheel = the story is a wheel. It showed his torment with the tower because IMO it seemed that he had been there before only to have to start all over again, perhaps why he is so old and the only one of his kind left in a world that has moved on so far

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Jack Chalker's "Four Lords of the Diamond" series is really good.

spypet

AC Members
Jan 12, 2011
NY, 11375
If you don't mind an incomplete series, George R.R. Martins Fire and Ice series.
just the first 3 books - the 4th one is a terrible mess, and the 5th one is 3 years over due now.

I also enjoyed David Eddings dozen or so books. consider the father/son Herbert's Dune series.

steffish

AC Members
Apr 18, 2006
Oh boy! Love Sci-fi! And some fantasy. Past month, about, I have read -
"Retief And The Pangalactic Pageant Of Pulchritude", by Keith Laumer. It is as funny as it sounds.
"Report On Planet Three", By Arthur C. Clarke. As thought provking as all his works.
"Voices Of Hope" & " Fisherman's Hope", By David Feintuch. Disturbingly plausible alternate future.
"Draco Tavern", by Larry Niven. Excellent short story collection.
"Heavy Time", by C.J.Cherryh. Classic space miners.
"Empire", by Orson Scott Card. And currently reading his sequel "Hidden Empire". Love his books(Tales of Alvin Maker, Ender's Game, etc.)
In the pipeline to read next-
"Darwin's radio", by Greg Bear
"Under A Velvet Cloak"(Incarnations of Immortality series,book 8), by Piers Anthony(Love a smart man with a warped sense of humor)
"Witch & Wizard", by James Patterson & Gabrielle Charbonnet ( My son loved it)
Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series - I had read up to book 6, I think, a couple years ago & my daughter just sent me books 1 to 12(with a note that there are 2 more) so I may have to start over & (re)read them in order.
"Childhood's End" by Arthur C. Clarke started my addiction at about age 12.
(Also enjoyed "Dark Tower" but hated the ending)

fishycat

needs more wiggle.
Dec 9, 2009
Hawaii
Anybody reading anything great right now? I've been stuck on the Dragon Riders of Pern series for years! Which I love, but shards I think I'm stuck there! Plus intermittently reading Feist,Brooks and other authors. I'd like to get to the bookstore later any ideas?

OMG!! ***HUGSYOUTIGHT*** It's so awesome to find another Pern/Anne McCaffrey fan!!! I have almost EVERY book she's written for Pern. I first bought Dragonsdawn in like '89 and read my way backwards. :laugh: I am leery of buying the books her son is writing. I wish Anne could write stories for forever... I think she's earned immortality :grinyes:. Ruth & Jaxom, Menolly & the Harperhall are my favorites, but Sean & Sorka have a special place in my heart, & Sallah Telgar always makes me cry big baby tears! Oh yes, and Anne's Tower & Hive series is FANTASTIC!!!

I must MUST rec Mercedes Lackey to you. Specifically the Valdemar universe. I've read 99% of those books, as well. VERY addicting. I like her occult stuff & Bardic Voices stuff, too.

There are other, more recent series' that I've liked... but my books are mostly in storage. I'll try to remember the authors and post here again.

:dance:

IceH2O

Bazinga
Nov 26, 2005
Rock Hill,South Carolina
Real Name
Ice
I prefer my books to be on the tv screen with pictures and such..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store