Any Sci-Fi Fantasy book fans out there?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
O.S.Card is an excellent Sci-fi writer, I've read other books of his too. Never read the Alvin Maker series, another book on the list:)

Treefork

AC Members
Oct 20, 2010
Northeast Indiana
pets.groups.yahoo.com
Real Name
Joe
For some crazy reason I never got into LOTR's, and that's my kind of fantasy, action, elves etc. I love the movies and I know those are no where near what's in the books. I have to give it another try.
I used to read those every year since for about 10 years. It's still a great series though, you should give it a read, you'll like it. The writing style is a little older, but still good.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
O.S.Card is an excellent Sci-fi writer, I've read other books of his too. Never read the Alvin Maker series, another book on the list:)
Oh, i read one of those books, or maybe it was the entire series I can't remember.

I also read the Pendragon Series at one point.

toddnbecka

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
Cumberland, MD 21502
For some crazy reason I never got into LOTR's, and that's my kind of fantasy, action, elves etc. I love the movies and I know those are no where near what's in the books. I have to give it another try.
Actually, the latest movies were almost as good as the books, true to the story for the most part. Now they're doing "Hobbit" the same way, looking forward to that one too.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I read a lot. I haven't seen any authors listed that I've not read at least once.

Add to the list:

Connie Willis
Jasper Fforde
Christopher Moore
Kage Baker

Edit to add, since you like the Pern series: Naomi Novik.

And, previously listed but I feel obliged to endorse...Terry Pratchett and China Mieville.

I have kindles. Yes, plural. I love them. Try to take them from me and feel my wrath!

Last edited:

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
oh, "My Side of the Mountain", "Faithful's Mountain", both good books. I actually started reading the first one and then i was stopped about halfway through, kept on searching for it for over 2 years! Finally found it an picked it up where I left off.

Also, the book "Jumper". That was a good book, a little graphic for young readers but besides that a great book. IDK, but I think they made a movie for it.

bgourami320

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
Brooklyn,NY
Real Name
Bonnie
Sounds good, more for the list:)

They were supposed to make a movie or series of movies of the Pern books but it never happened. A Canadian company bought the rights and did nothing with it.

And by the way almost forgot the author Jean M. Auel, oh help me I can't remember the name of the first book but her prehistoric neanderthal-modern man thing is GREAT read them years ago. Some of her books took a good few years to come out but it was worth the wait. And the movie they made from her first book was terrible, though they did cast Ayla correctly they didn't take any advise from the author.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
Maybe your thinking of "The Clan of the Cave Bear" or "Plains of Passage" or maybe "The Mammoth Hunters", they are all about prehistoric humans interacting with each other and Neanderthal.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
quick question to you guys, what would you guys like to see in a sci-fi short story? I'm in the mood for writing something, I'm just looking for a little inspiration....

tolawdjk

AC Members
Sep 8, 2010
For those that are intersted, "Dance with Dragons"...book 5 of George RR Martins Fire and Ice series is scheduled for release July 12 according to the Border's announcement I saw.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store