aqua chillers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
what kind of a lifespan overall, and if you could give me an idea of how long they grow, i mean do they grow to max length within 3 years or is it sooner, he is about 6 months old now, or possibly a year?

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005
The regular old feeder fish which is called a common goldfish will grow to at least a foot. They grow fast, I forget the exact time, but i just read a post about that very question somewhere recently and i will try to find that for you. Oh, It is also very common for the common gf to have a lot of black on them when young, but it goes away within the frst year.
The thing is, George is most likely already stunted from being in much much too crowded conditions.
If you could possibly put him in the 55 all by himself that would be the best thing. Stunting doesnt just mean that they stay small, it also distorts their development and shorten their lifespans. a common gold fish can easily live 25 years if well provided for.
There are also comet goldfish, which look a lot like the commons only they have longer fins. theylook pretty "fancy" but as far as care goes they are much like the common gf.
The fancy goldfish are the fatbodied ones you may have seen. like fantails and bubble eye and orandas ( the ones with the big red head)
These have been bred to be like this. they are much more comfortable in warm water than the commons, generally less hardy, and don't get as big. I don't know their lifespan.
As far as getting other fish Please WAit! You really dont have nearly enough room as it is!
You kind of have a dilemma. You could fit everyone but george into the 55, OR you could fit george into it.
Either way the 10G is too small for the rest.
If you have any money at all to spend on fish stuff, I would say try to find another tank. even another10 would help. a twenty or a thirty would be better. You can get used filters and heaters.
OR put george and whoever else into the 55, it is not ideal, but better than where he is now.
OR find a good private pond where george could live( maybe through this forum)
OR bring back/ rehome the tropicals and keep george and you could go with him and a fancy or two in the 55. ( well, plus whoever can REALLY fit in the 10.)
Keep in mind however, that george will possibly outgrow the 55 eventually.
This is a real shame bcause I love common GF they are definitely one of my favorites but I don't really have the room for them either.
keep reading and learning,and keep up on those water changes:thumbsup:
and hold off on buying or rescuing more fish. and you'll get this straightenned around.
Oh, and don't take advise from that lfs lol.
About the platy. did you cycle the tank before you added them? how did you acclimate them? how are they doing now?
the loss of one fish out of five Could be attributed to just all the little traumas of transerring from the store. but, you are smart to look into it b4 going on.

zazz

AC Members
Mar 29, 2005

lucid_boy

cancer
May 19, 2007
Salt Lake City, UT
WOW!!! thanks very much for that...
BTW, one of the platies had some babies!!!
I have a stand for my 10 gal that can hold a 5 gallon on the bottom.
I was thinking about finding a bigger stand, putting the 10 on the bottom and say a 20 on top, but that could be months off.
I am still not sure about everything yet but I will maybe put the platies in the 10 gal and also the 1 albino shark (the baby).
and then put george and the others in the 55?
for now I think I will just wait just a few more weeks for the cycle to break in more and then I will put the goldfish in the 55 gal with the platies., I will not be getting anymore fish except the 2 black mollies that I already said I would take. they may be at my home now...
thanks for the info I needed something else to gnaw on...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store