Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
like always amazing!!!
Thanks Kaosu, it's an absolute joy going to work in the morning...lol.
Filters running well, only quite some green hair-algae in the filter and the grow-out.
Quite some apple-snails getting golfball sized in the settling-tanks, so I'm taking them out and drop them in the grow-out to battle it, but so far, it's growing too fast.

The main pond is totally free from algae, the carp in there are taking good care of it. There's a big group of fish constantly hanging around the water-fall return on both sides, just waiting for algae to float into the main pond. So all I see is a liner that is turning more white every day again.
Overall, the system really works like a charm. No maintenance at all, except for dead leaves and releasing sludge from the settling tanks with the bottom-valve. Can go on business trips without any worries at all. On dry and hot days I loose about 1cm a day, but with an hour of filling I'm back to normal. (if it doesn't rain...)

Mr. T. likes too play. I found out that he keeps coming over and just waits for my hand to go in to push his body around. He pushes back with just enough force to catapult himself away. Then turns around and comes back for the same routine again.
He seems to be teasing me with it as well, going a bit further away every time until I can't reach him. From there just keeps looking like: "can't get me here eeeeh". Very funny...

He's not bothering the other fish much. Hovers on the bottom sometimes, watching and waiting, but the other fish know how to handle it. They never get straight in front of him. Guess they learned that Mr. T. goes straight ahead full speed but can't keep up if they're not right in front of him.

The first settling tank (which was 100% done with silicone only) has some small pinholes in it. That will be a job over the coming weeks, re-doing it with epoxy. The other tank has no problems at all anymore after the epoxy-job.

My local LFS has some Datnoids, a Chao Praya Catfish, some featherbacks and other interesting fish, but need to hold myself back until I have a good predator to catch out all the smaller Tilapia.
Some PVC pipes is what I need to give cover to the RTC's. They are about 5" now, and with cover, I'm pretty sure they'll survive in the pond.

Anyhow, busy day ahead..better get going.

Cheers,
Luc

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
Just curious, what keeps you from posting the cctv footage? or even just still pics from it (taking a screen shot while viewing). You could edit it with black bars over the ip or whatever would be showing.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Just curious, what keeps you from posting the cctv footage? or even just still pics from it (taking a screen shot while viewing). You could edit it with black bars over the ip or whatever would be showing.
I know, might be possible to do it, but security protocol and having pretty much every large IT-company you'd be able to name on my customer-list makes that a no-no... Too bad, but you can always ask for another video...will happily comply...

Currently thinking I'm overdoing it with the video's, but tell me what you want on video and I'll shoot it...no problem at all.

Cheers,
Luc

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
That is understandable. It looks like Mr t is doing great.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Luc: Cool to watch. Got an invite to Thailand and India two weeks ago in France. If it comes through you might find some strange white guy with a fishing pole lurking around your pond :)

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Luc: Cool to watch. Got an invite to Thailand and India two weeks ago in France. If it comes through you might find some strange white guy with a fishing pole lurking around your pond :)
Lol, more than welcome to come over...security would confiscate anything even remotely endangering Mr.T. They've been properly briefed on it...

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
Wow, that is just incredible progress, looking good!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Just a quick update, been very busy and looks like coming weeks will be the same.
Pond is doing great, there's hardly anything to do. 1st bog is growing nuts, need to start cutting back, getting to 2 meters high.
Second bog is a lot more full in terms of leaves/stems. Growing as fast as the 1st one.
Koi are about 15cm now, that's 3 times the size from when I bought them about a month ago.
Tilapia are getting too much, hope this week I can get out to buy a hunter that will take care of that.
My RTC's are still too small, need to build that PVC 'modern form' driftwood for the main pond.
Once that is in, I'm a bit more confident that they will survive.

Mr. T. is good as usual, he's just like this big, lazy dog that comes over and waits for me to start playing with him.
Had a fishing day at one of the oldest fishing lakes in Bangkok recently, friend's birthday. He always hires a professional fisher who prepares the bait, brings the rods, etc. Great guy...We talked a bit and my friend told him about the Arapaima. They have them in that lake as well and he's caught many of them over the years, so his first reaction to the feeding was...don't do that, very dangerous...
I then showed him the video's of feeding and underwater, he nearly fell off his chair. Couldn't believe it. He was just stunned seeing the way Mr. T. behaves.
Looking forward to see him come over and have a look at the pond.

Water is still the same clear and clean. Do need to get to work on the first settling-tank, take out the silicone and replace it with epoxy. Starts to leak more. Nothing worrying yet, but need attention for sure. Took the floating plants out of the tanks btw, not growing too much and without them it's much easier to clean the pump-inlets. Flushing them is better to monitor and found that opening the valve a good 10 seconds, then closing and have water gushing in from the pond, repeating that a couple of times, gets the bottom almost spotless clean.

Another thing is to put some finishing stuff in. Over the next few months, get stones and more concrete and concrete wood to fix all that.
But overall, nothing but joy to watch it and having to do nothing about it. That's just amazing, never would have thought that was possible on such a big project.

Several people have been telling me to start looking around a bit more and build this out from hobby to a more permanent job. Though that might be tough over the coming years, it sure makes me smile and think about it.
2 friends of mine are already pulling me over. Once has to large pieces of land, the other plans on buying in the coming months.

Anyhow, back to work...

Cheers,
Luc

finsNfur

AC Members
May 29, 2008
Connecticut
I love how Mr. T plays, and the story of your friend! I hope you'll keep us updated from time to time, this has been interesting to follow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store