Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nerdyrcdriver

AC Members
Sep 1, 2011
USA
Real Name
Nick
I am kind of curious, do people with man made ponds cycle them in any way? Or does it just happen easier because they are so big?

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
Hi Luc
Was the fishing man afraid that Mr. T would bite or attack you? Maybe you are The Fish Whisperer.
Thanks so much for documenting this and taking such good care of Mr. T.

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Hello Jannika,

Indeed afraid for broken fingers with his jaws snapping around them.

http://youtu.be/XsUmfTTfBWs

Just another above and under water video.
Nothing much changed...all going well.
Need to start working on it again but this week out again to Vietnam...sigh.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
I am kind of curious, do people with man made ponds cycle them in any way? Or does it just happen easier because they are so big?
Not sure on that, I did not care much on cycling on the pond. Low fish load initially and the arapaima went in after some weeks running. Sure that the filter sprang to life exactly in the 4 week timeframe though.

I think the very large volume makes up for it. It's not a 300 liter tank with 30 fish in it..

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thinking of it, it's 4 weeks since we planted the 2nd bog. I am in Vietnam again, but camera shows very nice water. Will be curious to see it again next week. Longest period not seeing it since starting the build...lol
Filter must be fully working now..so that's 2cbm of gravel and plants covered with bacteria eating away on waste on top of what is already growing in the 1st bog...

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fozzybear

wocka wocka wocka!
Mar 16, 2011
Alaska
Real Name
Ellis
the...coolest...pond...ever. :bowing:

Dude i've been fishing for the last couple of months so I haven't seen the progress. That is incredible dude. Mr. T looks fantastic, and the big school in your pond is epic. They all seem to give Mr. T a pretty wide berth, has he nabbed many?

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
the...coolest...pond...ever. :bowing:

Dude i've been fishing for the last couple of months so I haven't seen the progress. That is incredible dude. Mr. T looks fantastic, and the big school in your pond is epic. They all seem to give Mr. T a pretty wide berth, has he nabbed many?
Sigh, I wish he'd manage To get more of the tilapia.
But he seems to try a bit, give up and wait for feeding time.
on the other hand, good because he won't attack anything much and keep the pond in one piece...lol

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Over the last week, I've done a bit of 'testing' with feeding Mr. T.
Before, we'd put a cup of pellets in the water close to the wall.
He'd grab his mouth full, then swim away and the Tilapia going for what is still left.
Then, after his food, (and my lunch...lol) I'd go to the pond and play a bit as I've described before with him going around and coming back a couple of times.

So now, I put a cup of pellets in the water, he gets his mouth full, I stay and keep the remaining pellets together and tilapia away until he comes back.
After a couple of times, I started stroking & pushing him every time he comes back to gulp down some more pellets. (after he gets the pellets, not before).
Quite amazed, but after 2 or 3 days, he got the hang of it and changed his behavior...

He comes over, gulps down some pellets and then looks at me, rolls over his body sideways waiting for me to push him and then makes a round, chewing and eating before coming back for the same again...
Once he's done with it, normally after 5 - 10 rounds, he simply swims off to another area and doesn't return...

But it's just plain fun to see how smart he is.

missmeliss

Addicted to Aquariums
Aug 18, 2008
Exit 34B
Real Name
Melissa
So Awesome!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store