Arapaima Pond Build

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
< full of jealousy, admiration, and gratitude for the sharing

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks all, appreciate your comments.
i am pretty sure anyone here having a fish like that would spend the same time and efforts.
He is just adorable with those big lips and drooling eyes looking at you.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
Took me three days to read thru. Amazing pond and fish! Luc, you have done a beautiful job creating Mr. T's world. I don't think that I would want to ever leave work! This is for sure the best pond ever!!! I even got my hubby and daughter to watch some of your videos and they are loving it too and they are not fish people! I really like the choice that you made to have biological filtration instead of a "filter". If you can--when you are out admiring your beautiful fish--can you take some more videos of your grow out pond and show us how they are doing too? Is the RTC in one of them or is he at your house? Thank You for sharing this amazing thread!!!

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Thanks Barbara for taking the time to read. Glad you enjoyed it.
I'm still very happy with it. Glad I took the chance and went for it.
Indeed, the 'mechanical/bio filtration' with the settling tanks and bogs works fantastic. Don't think there's a more efficient, cost-effective and maintenance free filter on the market. There's literally nothing except cutting back some plants and clean the pump inlet every now and then. (and even that gets less since there's some tilapia growing in the settling tanks taking care of all the rubbish that gets stuck on the pumps.)
Just finished feeding, it's something very hard to describe, but similar to a well trained dog who waits for his boss to say he can start. And then with every gulp of pellets, lying still in the water, back just above the surface, waiting for me to push him away. He then shoots away like a snake in the water, comes back, watches me and the food, as if waiting to get my ok again.
Often he just rolls over on his side to make sure I understand he wants a stroke or push...lol.

As for the video, will try and do that next week, Koi are growing fast, biggest one now about 25cm, close to 10". Most of them in the 6-7" range now.
They would sure do ok in the main pond, but I like the way they look in there and see how they grow compare to the 10-15 Koi in the main pond.
Rest in there is guppies/platies and snails.

RTC's (bought a second one) are still at my house, need to find some time to make hiding-spots for them or I'm pretty sure Mr. T. would have a nice lunch served.
1 option would be to put one in the grow-out pond, they are still small enough not to bother the Koi, but I'd rather have them straight into the main pond.
Same with the Oscars, 3 of them, they're pretty smart so hopefully they'd survive in the main pond.

Last addition would be a crystal eyed catfish. He will hopefully take care of Tilapia.
Though ok to watch, they are too many too fast, need to control that.
Will keep posting, though not as frequently anymore, but sure hope to do some videos of feeding my dog...errrr arapaima...lol.

Cheers,
Luc

Luc

AC Members
Aug 25, 2008
Thailand
Managed to put a figure on his length yesterday.
He's now just over 130cm long. That's 4.265 Foot for all the non-metric readers...lol
At this rate, he'll be a 5 footer by April next year.

Fish on Fire

AC Members
Jan 24, 2005
California
Amazing. I wish we had the weather that would allow us to make outdoor tropical ponds without an expensive heating system. Have you added the red tail cats yet? They should help a bit with the tilapia problem once they get big enough. Or you could just eat the tilapia yourself, lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store