Are ghost shrimp killers?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Veneer

AC Members
Dec 20, 2004
Roan Art said:
Wait, the second picture -- THAT is what I have in my tank. Not the first set of pictures in that link.

I don't read German. What does it say they are?

Roan
It calls them "NEW Greenish Indian Glass Shrimp", Macrobrachium sp. In actuality, your shrimp could be anything from Macrobrachium lamerrii to young M. rosenbergii. As these images evidence, a wide range of more-or-less transparent species would fit the bill.

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
You know....I've been looking at my shrimp.......and I'm thinking they AREN'T ghostshrimp !!

I'm noticing brownish and beige stripes across the backs of the larger ones...and there are red bands at the base of their feelers....2 red dots on thier tails and tiny red bands around one pair of their pinchers. I posted these as thumbnails, so I don't bog down anyone with dialup...click on them for larger images....

I'm afraid these are beginning to look like those machrobrachium type shrimp !! :eek:

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Roan, you may be interested in this information I just came across while searching to ID my shrimp.

"Although Ghost Shrimp are normally peaceful creatures, they may not be a good choice for all aquariums. If you keep fish in your aquarium that eat small animals, you may find that they will eat your Ghost Shrimp. To prevent this, you should add lots of hiding places to your aquarium to help the Ghost Shrimp escape such a fate, or, you may wish to keep them alone or with animals that will not prey on them. An opposite problem seems to occur in aquariums where waters remain particularly warm. These warm temperatures speed up the metabolisms of the Ghost Shrimp, making them more active. Unfortunately, along with this increased activity, some people have reported an increased aggressiveness. It has been observed that Ghost Shrimp may attack fish at higher temperatures."

I found this info at this site:
http://www.centralpets.com/animals/fish/freshwater_inverts/fwi4997.html

I did post this info on one of the other threads discussing shrimp....

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
That IS interesting. Does it say what the higher temperatures are?

I dunno that it applies to these THINGS that I have, because my rainbow tanks with "ghost shrimp" are kept at 75-77*. Rainbows like it cooler than most tropicals.

Roan

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
LOL.....No.....naturally they didn't mention what they meant by "Higher" temperatures.....but I was thinking 80 and above, since most tropical tanks are kept at about 76-78 I believe.

I wasn't sure what temp you needed to keep your rainbows at...for some reason I thought it would be higher than that.

Roan Art

AC Members
Oct 7, 2005
Northern VA
bowheads.org
Emg said:
LOL.....No.....naturally they didn't mention what they meant by "Higher" temperatures.....but I was thinking 80 and above, since most tropical tanks are kept at about 76-78 I believe.

I wasn't sure what temp you needed to keep your rainbows at...for some reason I thought it would be higher than that.
Rainbows are O2 intensive and the warmer the water, the less O2 for them to breath.

Breeders sock the babies and juvies to 82*, but maintain good O2 levels. Bows normally grow very slowly, but higher temps cause their growth to accelerate. More return on investment that way :)

I'd not want to try that with CO2 injection going on, that's for sure :)

Roan

dclan

Registered Member
Feb 4, 2006
Hi there, I also have a female ghost shrimp. She is about 1.5 inches long. She has eaten about 3 neons and also taken the eyes out of about 3 "red eye" tetras.
Surprisingly, the red eye tetras have all survived! They swim at a slight angle because they are always leaning to one side to see.
I will never again get a ghost shrimp. My clown loaches seem to be fine with the shrimp so I moved the shrimp and the two clown loaches to a smaller tank (away from the smaller tetras) with two large adult mollies. They should be able to fend for themselves.
One of the neons was unhealthy so the shrimp probably didn't take them all down but i have definitly witnessed her hunting. Basically, if anything comes within reach (even larger fish such as bettas) she will try to grab on and begin eating. The larger fish simply swim away and get out of her little pinchers. When one of the neons died i threw it into her path and she devoured it within about 5-10 minutes! nothing left!
I think that she does her worst damage when it is night and some of the fish settle on the bottom to rest.

CatLover

Rummy Nose Tetra Fanatic
Jan 4, 2006
Texas
WOW! This might explain my experience with shrimp.

For a while my 10 gallon was empty except for some ghost shrimp. I was moving fish into the 29 gallon which was new at the time, this was quite some time ago.

Everything had been moved over for about a week, so I went and bought 5 neon tetra. (the tank was quite boring with just shrimp) I floated the bag and then released them. The lights were off and I left the room for a while (I don't remember now what I was doing) I came back maybe 20 minutes later and one of my ghost shrimp was swimming around with a dead, almost totally consumed neon.

I gave the shrimp the benefit of the doubt- maybe the neon dropped dead right away and they picked him up

Now, I really wonder

After that, they just hogged all the food and such, it took a special method to feed the neons.

All of a sudden, the shrimp just started dying, maybe they were old or something. As you can imagine, I was heartbroken over the death of the shrimp. Not! Actually, I was kind of glad they died- I felt bad, though. The neons were much happier once the shrimp died.

These were regular ghost shrimp- were about 2 inches long, I had them for a long time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store