Bangaii being out-competed

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
So, I have replaced the bangaii that I lost with a new one and I'm having the same problems. I've tried everything (frozen mysis marinated in garlic, cycloeeze, prime reef, etc.) except Live Brine Shrimp. I've even tried feedin at night when she seems to be the most active. I'm going to go the the LFS today to get some brine shrimp. Unfortunately my Selcon that I ordered from Drs. F&S hasn't come in yet, but I guess eating what equates to potato chips in the fish world is better than eating nothing at all.

Anybody have any other suggestions? I'm willing to try anything at this point. I don't want to loose another one.

The other bangaii in my display is doing awesome. I just hope I can get this new one to that level.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Did you watch your LPS feed the bangaii before you bought it?? What were they feeding at the time?? Have you tried what they were feeding?? I dunno man you running into some finiky fish..

I guess thats what I would try.. See if you can buy whatever it is that she was eating there (if she was) and then see if you can gradually move her over to what you feed your tank.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Frozen Mysis. They were feeding with frozen mysis. I bought the same brand of mysis as well and still nothing. I'm hoping that the live brine will entice some kind of feeding reaction.

Other than not eating at feeding time, she seems relatively healthy. She swims around the QT and at lights out she is all over the place. Maybe she is afraid of me and just eats the bits off the bottom of the tank. I don't know. She is a bit thin, but other than that she looks good.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
I've tried that. Fed the food and stepped away and looked out of the top of the tank. Nothing. All sides of the tank, except for the front, are covered.

There are two pieces of PVC in the tanks.

I did catch her nipping at the sponge filter once. That was the closest I came to seeing some sort of feeding activity.

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
That's rather strange you saw her eat at the lfs then she just quit when you put her in qt? How are you acclimating your fish and did she come from a tank containing a large school of cardinals? I'm very surprised normally they are one of the easier fish to introduce.

SigPiPup

AC Members
May 1, 2007
Michigan
Drip acclimated her over an hour or so. There were 5 other cards in the tank with her.

Well, I bought some Live Brine Shrimp from my LFS last night and she loved it. She was obviously hungry. She went right for them. I fed her this morning before work and she ravaged those ones too. It is good to see her with a full belly. Now I just have to wait a couple of days for my Selcon to come so I'm not filling her with just 'potato chips'. :)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
GREAT NEWS that she is eating. One of the things you can start doing until you get your Selcon is try mixing in the frozen mysis with the live brine and see what she does..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store