Battling ich for the first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MariaR

Registered Member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2019
I’m currently battling my first case of ich and have, for safety measures ,removed my ivory mystery snail and guppy fry to the only think I had available (1g tank that I use to transfer water during water changes) and I am wondering if i can keep them in the tank while I’m combating ich with out a filter if I do daily water changes. (My 10g had 1black Molly,8 adult guppies, 1 guppy fry and 1 ivory mystery snail. I’ve had this tank running for quite a while fully cycled but after going out of town for a couple of days and using a release feeder I noticed my black molly had some signs of ich)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site.

What is in the tank now and why no filter?

Lots of info on treating ich. I would raise the temperature in the tank to as high as your fish will tolerate, aerate the tank more and feed lightly only a few times a week during the process. Do water changes and gravel vacs often. You can dose the tank with aquarium salt as well which can help speed the process as well, but some tank inhabitants wont tolerate that.

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
The snail and the one fry should be ok in the little one gallon , but I'll bet you have something a bit larger lying around, like a little storage container of some sort, or even a 3 gallon bucket...
Anything that's clean, with no soap or other residue and holds water will do.
Are you treating with salt and heat?
Livebearers are quite tolerant of increased salinity.

Also, how about a pic of the afflicted fish?
Perhaps it's not ich.

Reactions: FreshyFresh
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store