Battling ich for the first time

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MariaR

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2019
I’m currently battling my first case of ich and have, for safety measures ,removed my ivory mystery snail and guppy fry to the only think I had available (1g tank that I use to transfer water during water changes) and I am wondering if i can keep them in the tank while I’m combating ich with out a filter if I do daily water changes. (My 10g had 1black Molly,8 adult guppies, 1 guppy fry and 1 ivory mystery snail. I’ve had this tank running for quite a while fully cycled but after going out of town for a couple of days and using a release feeder I noticed my black molly had some signs of ich)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome to the site.

What is in the tank now and why no filter?

Lots of info on treating ich. I would raise the temperature in the tank to as high as your fish will tolerate, aerate the tank more and feed lightly only a few times a week during the process. Do water changes and gravel vacs often. You can dose the tank with aquarium salt as well which can help speed the process as well, but some tank inhabitants wont tolerate that.

Reactions: MariaR

ustabefast

AC Members
Jan 17, 2017
Santa Barbara area.
Real Name
Gregg
The snail and the one fry should be ok in the little one gallon , but I'll bet you have something a bit larger lying around, like a little storage container of some sort, or even a 3 gallon bucket...
Anything that's clean, with no soap or other residue and holds water will do.
Are you treating with salt and heat?
Livebearers are quite tolerant of increased salinity.

Also, how about a pic of the afflicted fish?
Perhaps it's not ich.

MariaR

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2019
Welcome to the site.

What is in the tank now and why no filter?

Lots of info on treating ich. I would raise the temperature in the tank to as high as your fish will tolerate, aerate the tank more and feed lightly only a few times a week during the process. Do water changes and gravel vacs often. You can dose the tank with aquarium salt as well which can help speed the process as well, but some tank inhabitants wont tolerate that.
I was able to successfully treat the ich with some medication. I hadn’t no filter in the other tank because it was really old and just had it to move around water during changes. My fry is no longer a fry had has actually produced fry of its own that are doing great! Thank you for your suggestions

MariaR

Registered Member
Aug 18, 2019
The snail and the one fry should be ok in the little one gallon , but I'll bet you have something a bit larger lying around, like a little storage container of some sort, or even a 3 gallon bucket...
Anything that's clean, with no soap or other residue and holds water will do.
Are you treating with salt and heat?
Livebearers are quite tolerant of increased salinity.

Also, how about a pic of the afflicted fish?
Perhaps it's not ich.
I got several options from differing store owners and online forums and it was sadly ich ? but I was able to combated pretty easily with a medication and regular water changes. I was told to wait and see if it went away by a couple of people but I noticed secondary problems arising like fin rot and lifting scales (all which happened VERY quickly) I followed the instructions on the medication I was recommended and continued treating even after visible signs where gone to make sure I really got rid of it. My molly is happy as can be and the tip of her fin that had been affected by fin rot is all healed up and she looks perfect ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store