Beginner Fish for Your Reef or FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NemoMike

AC Members
Jul 11, 2012
Two I would add to this list are:

Tiger Watchman Goby (Valenciennea Wardii) and the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis).jpgTiger Watchman Goby (Valenciennea wardii).jpg

Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis).jpg Tiger Watchman Goby (Valenciennea wardii).jpg

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick

Mosquitofish (I have them in my 75 gallon reef just fine)

Tank Size
20 Gallon for adults, at least 10 for juveniles
Temperature
Mosquitofish are commonly kept in ponds, so a temperature of 60-85 would be acceptable
Adult Size
About 3", the biggest I've had is about 2.5"
Temperament
Peaceful, generally stays away from the other fish
Reef Compatible
Yes, they generally stay away from the other fish, and invertebrates. They do not interact with corals in my experience.Diet
In my experience they eat anything that their tankmates will eat: mysis, flakes, pellets, and pretty much anything else.
Origin
Mississippi River, down to the gulf, and also found in Northern Mexico. They are found in full FW, all the way up to full SW (I got mine to SW through drip acclimating for 8 hours)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Ptrick125--- If you add Mosquitofish, you can add Mollies too then.

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
Ptrick125--- If you add Mosquitofish, you can add Mollies too then.
Yeah, the reason I did mosquitofish was because they were in my mom's pond, so they were pretty much free. (I was the one that put them in the pond in the first place)

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jesterrace

AC Members
Apr 24, 2018
I'm going to have to disagree with the Chromis being a good starter fish. They are a schooling fish, but in the aquarium are hit and miss with picking each other off and as of late are shipping with more than their fair share of disease. Also, on firefish they are relatively easy to care for, but are super skittish (hide a lot) and are likely to be the number one target for bullying by even Peaceful fish trying to assert dominance.

Among my favorite Beginner fish

Melanurus Wrasse (and other H variety wrasses)
Gobies
Pajama Cardinalfish (imho more durable and colorful than the Benghai)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store