Best and Fastest way to do water changes in 72 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SuBXeRo

TaNkAsAuRaUs REX
Jul 22, 2008
NJ and AZ
What is the best and fastest way to do weekly or biweekly water changes in a 72 gallon tank. 25% is alot of water to move when you do do the change is it best to use a syphon and dump it into a sink or 5 gallon water jug and then dump it? Would it be worth it for me to rig a water pump system for refills and what not?

johnhoover

AC Members
Aug 11, 2008
Murfreesboro, TN
I've got a 32 gal rubbermaid trash can that I use for changing my 55gal. I measured 25gal in the can and marked 25gal on the side of my tank. Using a python to vacuum and empty the tank and I fill and dechlorinate water into the can and move it to the tank using a small submersible pump to fill the tank.

I already had a furniture sliding dolly, but you might want to look into building or buying wheels for it.

John.

krytan

Sep 2, 2007
Norwich, England
Real Name
Wayne
I've got a 32 gal rubbermaid trash can that I use for changing my 55gal. I measured 25gal in the can and marked 25gal on the side of my tank. Using a python to vacuum and empty the tank and I fill and dechlorinate water into the can and move it to the tank using a small submersible pump to fill the tank.

I already had a furniture sliding dolly, but you might want to look into building or buying wheels for it.

John.
That sounds a lot of hassle compared to using a python.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use a python on my 90. Except I drain water into bushes to water them and then hook up to faucet for refill. Beats the bucket brigade hands down as I can barely carry one!

dogyluver

AC Members
Jun 20, 2008
Ohio
I use a python on my 90. Except I drain water into bushes to water them and then hook up to faucet for refill. Beats the bucket brigade hands down as I can barely carry one!
I a

The Zigman

Here fishy fishy fishy!!!
Oct 5, 2007
Near Chicago, Il.
www.uglymuggs.com
I have a valve in the output line of my Fluval FX5 that diverts water from the aquarium to the drain in the basement...

There are 2 42 gal trash cans in the basement connected to a 100 GPD R/O system. Each can has a 250 watt stealth heater inside preset to the tem of my tank. I have a booster pump connected to the cans. When I open a valve at the aquarium, the pump comes on, and pumps water up from the basement to the tank. The whole W/C process talkes about 10 minutes on my 125, (I do a 35 ga w/c every day)

Look for pics in my signiture below...

erika_d

AC Members
Aug 14, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Wait a second!! If this python takes water directly from the tap, then how do you condition the water to remove the chlorine, etc.?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store