Best and Fastest way to do water changes in 72 gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
I use a python-ish DIY tube to siphon water out the window into a 10 foot drop and refill with dechlorinated tap water matched to the temperature of the tank water.

AquariumFish

still playing with wet spots
What is the best and fastest way to do weekly or biweekly water changes in a 72 gallon tank. 25% is alot of water to move when you do do the change is it best to use a syphon and dump it into a sink or 5 gallon water jug and then dump it? Would it be worth it for me to rig a water pump system for refills and what not?
the first 2 posts give good advice

for faster draining - I use a 1 1/4 inch diameter hose - I picked up a 22 foot length from Lowes Home Improvement - it was a bit costly until I drained the 210 gal tank QUICKLY

for my RO/DI water I went to Lowes and bought a pond pump with the 1/2 inch diameter discharge and a length of their hose that you find right there made for ponds (its a 20 footer) and I hit all my tanks real easy with a powered water supply!

bushwhacker

old school newbie
Aug 2, 2008
westminster sc.
i use a python knock off, when i moved and it wasnt long enough i bought a second and just took the long hoses and connected them together

JamieB

JamieB
Oct 9, 2005
currently in another Orbit
I trained my fish to clean thier own tank, and when they get lazy I use a python set up!

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
You dose the tank. It wont hurt the fish.

I use a powerhead with a hose shoved into the output for my 60. 10 minutes to drain, 10 minutes to fill and I do 50% minimum per week.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I use a garden hose to drain my largest tanks and do the bucket brigade from bathtub to tank to refill. The bathtub fills up my buckets much faster than the sink faucet and I don't really mind the lifting of water filled buckets. The exercise is good.

DominionDesign

Just chillin', watching the fish.
Aug 5, 2008
Jacksonville, FL
I don't know why no one has mentioned a Python, it works great for me!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store