Betta fish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I dunno about that, females are just as aggressive as males and pose the same risks to each other, so they should all be in their own tanks by themselves. I've seen far too many sororites crash even when things might've been fine at first. They're all constantly on edge and stressed out by being in the presence of other bettas, even when they don't show physical signs. Literally anything can cause them to snap and attack everyone around them, which often ends fatally. I had a friend lose all her females this way, and i wouldn't want to see you go through the same thing.

Reactions: Mei Lin

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had no such issues with female betta sororities, but that's not to say it cannot happen. They will bicker and shove each other around, but you can reduce these occurrences by breaking up lines of site with plants, décor, etc. They are fun and entertaining fish IMO. I've currently got 4 in a planted 29g and may add another 1-2.

In a 55g with lots of plants and décor, you could probably have a good sized group of females. 8 maybe?

Last edited:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Depends on the species.

Betta splendens, yes, one male, or a group of females provided it is heavily planted and monitored for aggression. A pair might work as well, but you'd want to monitor the female to be sure she isn't harassed.

But there are lots of species of bettas, many which are fine in community or species only setups. Betta ocellata, patoti, coccina, rubra--all are mouth brooders and will be fine in a colony setup. The exact count depends on the species, since ocellata are 4-5 inch fish and patoti are 6-7 while coccina and rubra max out at about 2 inches.I have a planted 37 with ocellata and there are about 20 fish, ranging from adults to fry.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Oh, I think pretty much everyone DOES mean splendens, just as when someone says 'cichlids' they probably mean a) African and b) peacocks or labs. (or whatever the current name is for them). I just happen to REALLY like all the labyrinth fish, so chime in to stir up interest in them. :) Consider it my one-woman fish crusade. I'm well aware of the difficulties in getting anything other than splendens, as well, but hey, if you don't even know it's an option, how can you look, right?

Patoti were my first encounter with a big betta. They're gorgeous and I sort of regret not buying them when I saw them at a convention a few years back...although it was the right choice since I definitely did not have a tank appropriate for them ready.

Reactions: Mei Lin

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
a 55 could house quite a few female splendes...with a tank that large and some serious interest in a betta sorority, I would encourage you to go through with it. although they don't get the extravagant finnage of the males, you can still find deltas, crowns, halfmoons, etc females that come in the same stunning colors.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store