Betta tank for friend

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Some of you know this story. My friend has a betta in a 0.5 gallon tank. You read that right, 1/2 of a gallon.
I was brain storming a new tank for her. I was thinking a 3 gal or 5gal marinland portrait for her betta and some amano shrimp or a 6.8 gal, 7.5 gal bowfront for a betta community tank. I was thinking her betta, 6 chili rasboras and shrimp.

What do you guys think? Thanks

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Any tank big enough to hold a heater starting with say a 2.5 gal. In that tank you could get away with maybe 3 or 4 of the smaller cory species. I used have a pair of such tanks, planted and set end to end. The males liked to flare at each other where the ends touched. After about 8 month I got bored and gave the bettas away. However, I think that the bigger a tank for the betta is better. 5.5 or even a 10. It should be filtered but have low flow. Here is a bit from what Seriously fish has to say re Bettas

Behaviour and Compatibility

Not recommended for the standard community aquarium. Its care requirements and disposition mean it is best kept alone. Sometimes individual fish may tolerate other species, but this is the exception not the expected norm.

Some small cyprinids and loaches that inhabit similar environments in nature are suitable, but proper research prior to purchase is essential and in most cases it is best maintained alone. Species with body shapes or trailing finnage should certainly be avoided, since a male may view these as rivals.

Ornamental strains seem to be more aggressive than any other Betta species, including others from the B. splendens group, and only a single individual can be kept per tank in most cases. Usual practice is also to maintain males and females separately unless breeding.
from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-splendens/

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Any tank big enough to hold a heater starting with say a 2.5 gal. In that tank you could get away with maybe 3 or 4 of the smaller cory species. I used have a pair of such tanks, planted and set end to end. The males liked to flare at each other where the ends touched. After about 8 month I got bored and gave the bettas away. However, I think that the bigger a tank for the betta is better. 5.5 or even a 10. It should be filtered but have low flow. Here is a bit from what Seriously fish has to say re Bettas

from https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/betta-splendens/
Thank you. I haven't kept bettas in years! (and that was in a bowl :() I am still researching it for her.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Be sure to have a heater, and a very gentle sponge filter. Sponge is best for them because bettas hate flow. And many have long flowy fins that make it harder to move with the currents.

Id opt for a 3 or a 5g. She may have better space for those, unless she says shes got room for a 10.

Also, be wary adding other fish, even chilis. Mostly because if her betta doesnt like them, what will happen with them...

Id opt for the amano shrimp, after the tank matures a bit as they need biofilm and algae to eat--they will starve in a freshly cycled tank.

Potentially could try a small shoal of 6 hastatus corydoras, but again its iffy if her betta will tolerate tankmates.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Be sure to have a heater, and a very gentle sponge filter. Sponge is best for them because bettas hate flow. And many have long flowy fins that make it harder to move with the currents.

Id opt for a 3 or a 5g. She may have better space for those, unless she says shes got room for a 10.

Also, be wary adding other fish, even chilis. Mostly because if her betta doesnt like them, what will happen with them...

Id opt for the amano shrimp, after the tank matures a bit as they need biofilm and algae to eat--they will starve in a freshly cycled tank.

Potentially could try a small shoal of 6 hastatus corydoras, but again its iffy if her betta will tolerate tankmates.
Yes I know. But i like HOBs better personally.

Yes. I'll have to work with her on that. They're moving in a few month and she says she will more 'stuff' when they move. I had to talk her up to a 3gal. She was looking to upgrade it to a 1gal tank. :rolleyes:

Yes. It's hard. I ask her for a picture of him. I'll have her get a ghost shrimp or two to test the betta's aggression. Is there another wat to test? (I personally don't the mirror way is very accurate)

I'm aware of that. I'll make sure she waits And doesn't do anything more wrong. (already she'll have to do a fish-in cycle). Amazoniantanklvr Amazoniantanklvr sighs

You know me, the bio-tope perfectionist. That's a big no no in my book! lol. What about kuhli loaches? (Only in a 7gal+ tank though)

CichlidFins

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Real Name
Jay
Kuhli loaches would prefer a tank with tons of plant root/leaves and at least a 10g.

Is your friend aware of care needed to keep bettafish? I remember the thread you posted and your friend was not responsible, I would wait untill (s)he has a schedule down perfectly to start adding tankmates.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
No kuhlis do better in a 20g and up. A 10 mayyyybe but when i had mine in a 10 they paced and paced and paced. Plus, they get up to 4 inches long.

There are some smaller loach species that miggghhht work but also could be harder to get. Theyre also more sensitive so not good to add to an uncycled tank.

These guys may work... shed need a group of 7-10, but i wouldnt go smaller than a 10g for them

I would suggest adding media from your tank into ths new filter for her tank so she can avoid doing a fish in cycle. If possible anyways.

But given that she isnt as willing to do proper research herself, i would probably not do any additional tankmates. Maybe just some wild cherry shrimp or a nerite snail.

Reactions: CichlidFins

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
Kuhli loaches would prefer a tank with tons of plant root/leaves and at least a 10g.

Is your friend aware of care needed to keep bettafish? I remember the thread you posted and your friend was not responsible, I would wait untill (s)he has a schedule down perfectly to start adding tankmates.
OK, I'll only recommend them if she get's a 10 gal.

I'm working on that. I wont let her get any tankmate until she gets her act together. She's responsible but I don't believe that she's aware of what is needed to take care of a betta. I know she loves animals and will be horrified by the reality of it (once she finds out! lol). She I great with cats and horses and does a great job caring for them.

Amazoniantanklvr

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
North America
No kuhlis do better in a 20g and up. A 10 mayyyybe but when i had mine in a 10 they paced and paced and paced. Plus, they get up to 4 inches long.

There are some smaller loach species that miggghhht work but also could be harder to get. Theyre also more sensitive so not good to add to an uncycled tank.

These guys may work... shed need a group of 7-10, but i wouldnt go smaller than a 10g for them

I would suggest adding media from your tank into ths new filter for her tank so she can avoid doing a fish in cycle. If possible anyways.

But given that she isnt as willing to do proper research herself, i would probably not do any additional tankmates. Maybe just some wild cherry shrimp or a nerite snail.
ok. hmm

She wont be getting any tankmates until the tank is cycled! I'll make sure of that!

Ooh. I know a great place to get those. Have have decent shipping too! Thanks. I'll have to research them some more.

I'm afraid that impossible (id do it if she was local though) . They live in MD and are moving to NE. However she's a great friend and is a great listener. (and she know im good with fish so she'll listen to me).

There's a long story behind that. I'll tell you in a IM.

Reactions: NoodleCats
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store