Big Plans!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 2, 2002
New York
I have always wanted a gibby, but I never had the tank space for one.

Speaking of rocks, one of my prize possessions is a small fist sized rock that came out of the Big Bend of the Rio Xingu, home to all theplecos I breed. It was given to me by Jools of Plnetcatfish who personally collected it from the Xingu. It has lived in my wild caught L173 breeding tank since it came home with me.

That rock is about as close to the river that I will ever get. It is also the only thing that makes a real biotope in any of my tanks :rolleyes:

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Well he's definitely not a gibby.

Hes here today, a little 8" p. Pardalis for sure
His name is Ugg, apparently lol. Will keep his name.
20220116_131003.jpg
20220116_130231(0).jpg
20220116_132310.jpg

• Love
Reactions: dudley

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
Theyre giant vals, vallisneria gigantea. Larger and thicker species of vals. I find them easier than Americana.

"Free shrimp" from one of my other tanks that have shrimp hahahaha
nice i have Jungle Vals and they are trying to take over the tank

yeah free shrimp since they were not food lol

Reactions: NoodleCats

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Hes come out in the wee morning hours
20220117_031033.jpg20220117_031118.jpg

Got buried in sand apparently too.

Reactions: dudley and Hexo

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
I always thought it was bad to hold a fish because it harms their slime coating yet I see a lot of people holding fishes - am i mistaken ?

Reactions: Hexo

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
I always thought it was bad to hold a fish because it harms their slime coating yet I see a lot of people holding fishes - am i mistaken ?
Hes come out in the wee morning hours
View attachment 230919View attachment 230920

Got buried in sand apparently too.
how do you hold a fish in your hand and it actually keeps still?? lol
i think if the fish is healthy and hands are really clean, the slime coat will heal in no time
also i think catfish are more slimy?

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
Would only hold briefly and carefully.
The belly shot was still submerged under water. Needed a belly shot for identification purposes to know which of the common pleco species I was dealing with (pardalis and disjunctivus are similar but told apart by belly pattern). Otherwise, handling is only ever done for record photos (for ID photos or for size check) or health reasons. Would not recommend handling just because.
And health reasons, I prefer to keep them on a wet paper towel. Never out of water for long either.

how do you hold a fish in your hand and it actually keeps still?? lol
i think if the fish is healthy and hands are really clean, the slime coat will heal in no time
also i think catfish are more slimy?
Plecos are rough, like holding a lava rock almost. Corydoras and hoplos are also tough, but smooth. Farlowella cats are similar to plecos but lack the velcro type texture.

Now, non armored catfish are very slimy.

And gently but firmly to keep them still. And let go if they're stressed, and be mindful that some have spines that can injure you. Even some plecos have spines in their cheeks that they can extract against you if stressed. Commons don't, but ancistrus sp definitely do.

Check these out on my male BN (Ancistrus cf cirrhosis)
20211214_173223.jpg

Those are razor sharp needles that point forward. They can use these to defend caves from rival males, but they often will use them when removed from water as a defense mechanism. This guy though, that's Charlie and he's a jerk who uses them to bully cories away from a wafer.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
20220117_170705.jpg20220117_171007.jpg20220117_171151.jpg

Hes a handsome fish though, has been coming out all the time, isn't shy, isn't defensive over food, doesn't mind his new tankmates.
Hilarious watching him climb the vals.

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
Reactions: Hexo

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I think i missed it but what type of pleco is this ? My L204 are very skittish but don't mind sharing food but my L333 can be quite aggressive if someone trys to take his food.
Pterygoplichthys pardalis, aka common pleco.
Coworker asked me the other day to take in her pleco and a couple ancient tetras as she was taking her tank down since most the fish were old or had passed away by now. Tetras are well over 5 years old... quite tattered because of one of the serpae lol. 2 serpae and 1 bleeding heart taken in. They're in my 55g with my other tetras where they're behaving so far. Won't be adding to their kinds though since they're old .
But this guy is also over 5 years, and while I would not normally *want* a common pleco (I know their size), I know my area is really poor for proper housing for large plecos. Plus my coworker has been always kind to me and one of the few at work I could consider a friend, so I have no problems taking him in. He's also her favourite fish, so she can get updates on him anytime she wants.

Luckily he's not one of the truly massive species of common. Pardalis is still large, but not monstrous like some of the other 24"+ monsters.

Shy plecos... my shyest is my L240 which is in another tank. He will be moving to a 6 footer eventually as well, once we get a house. Don't got the space for 2 large tanks here. But hes so slow growing, he's got years before he needs an upgrade still.

My most bold used to be my Ancistrus bodenhameri, but this guy is out more than they are lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store