Black Ghost Knife Fish Questions

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pufferowner

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
I have this Black Ghost Knife Fish in my 40 gallon community tank. I got it 2 1/2 years ago when it was only about 3 inches. Now it is 7 inches long and still growing. As these things get massive, will they eat the other community fish? I have Emperor Tetras and another small tetra species with it as well as angelfish. Will I have to move it soon? It's doing perfectly fine right now and so far is not bothering anyone. Very peaceful

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
They have relatively small mouths, so your angel fish should be fine. But I would suspect that some of your smaller tetras may become snacks here and there

Pufferowner

AC Members
Sep 5, 2016
my Knifefish is already a huge eater, so I'll wait until it gets a little larger then I'll have to move it into a larger tank. What large fish does it do well with?

Dayne

Registered Member
Nov 11, 2017
I don't really know how to use this website... but I had a question about my ghost knife. His bottom fin seems to be missing a chunk out of it. It almost looks like he was either attacked, or it is deteriorating. He had some ich on him, but it looks like it is all about gone now anyways, so I do not understand why this would happen. He is now laying on the gravel most the time and doesn't really do much. He used to go under the rock I have in the tank, but my rope fish and dragon fish kind of hang out there now. Is it possible he is being affected by this and/or he is being attacked? How do I get him better again?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I don't really know how to use this website... but I had a question about my ghost knife. His bottom fin seems to be missing a chunk out of it. It almost looks like he was either attacked, or it is deteriorating. He had some ich on him, but it looks like it is all about gone now anyways, so I do not understand why this would happen. He is now laying on the gravel most the time and doesn't really do much. He used to go under the rock I have in the tank, but my rope fish and dragon fish kind of hang out there now. Is it possible he is being affected by this and/or he is being attacked? How do I get him better again?
Hi, welcome to AC. It might be good if you can start a new post as this one is a bit old and so it might get ignored here.

But I have a few questions.

1) How big is your tank?
2) Is it the BGK, a rope fish and a dragon fish in the same tank?
3) Are the edges of the injury fuzzy at all?
4) How many shelters do you have in this tank?
5) What are your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?
6) How often do you do water changes and how much water do you change?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store