Blue Rams @ Petco!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shrimplover

AC Members
Apr 1, 2012
So I went to Petco on my way home from school today and noticed that they had some new fish and to my surprise they had two Blue Rams! They looked fairly young as they were not showing any color yet, probably about two months old. Anyways, I was sooo tempted to buy one but they were priced at $18.99 each. They do have the 5 tropical fish for $5 right now so I took some tiger barbs home. I should have taken a picture of the ram. I will have to go back soon. Anybody know the special requirements for these fish? Thanks

cpetrosky

AC Members
Jan 22, 2011
Mooresville NC
Real Name
Chris Petrosky
as for care ive never had much luck with them. From what ive read they need EXCELLENT water quality, like discus good. I would look into the bolivian rams instead, not quite as colorful but definitely easier to keep.

shrimplover

AC Members
Apr 1, 2012
Yeah, thats what I've read. And after seeing that Almost all of the tanks at the store had some dead fish either on the gravel or stuck on the filter, I would rather just keep those $18 to myself lol They were cute tho :)

Dustin86

AC Members
Sep 29, 2012
Yeah, that price is ridiculous. I've seen them for cheaper at my LFS. If, however, you are concerned about your water quality, then having their 30 day guarantee may be worth the price of entry.

I second the Bolivian rams. They are wonderful fish with awesome personalities. You should be able to find them at Petsmart at a regular price of $5.99. My LFS was offering 3 for $13-14 or something like that. Awesome fish.

shrimplover

AC Members
Apr 1, 2012
Yes their 30 day guarantee is nice. This was a first seeing them at any petco or petsmart in my area. The price seemed way to high. I wish I had a bigger tank

stsalerno

Slackin'
Nov 16, 2011
Boston, MA :(
Real Name
Sam S.
as for care ive never had much luck with them. From what ive read they need EXCELLENT water quality, like discus good. I would look into the bolivian rams instead, not quite as colorful but definitely easier to keep.
I disagree with this I have rams and the thrive in my tank and all I do is regular maintenance... Sometimes I even skip doing a water change and they are still bight, colorful and active. I've even had them breed in my tank. I think it depends on the breeder/store you get them from. There is a lfs here that gets them from a local breeder and they are always in excellent health. I have also ordered then off aqua bid from a breeder in Florida and those come in healthy as well... They were also very reasonably priced.

I was told the rams that most fish stores carry are bred in Asia and treated with hormones to bring out bright colors at a young age. These hormones might make them show off better in the store but they can make the fish more sensitive and shorten their lifespan.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

shrimplover

AC Members
Apr 1, 2012
Interesting. I do believe that the fish from petco and petsmart are mistreated well not as healthy as buying from a local breeder or online breeder. I have always had luck with the fish and shrimps I have boughten off of the internet but not so much luck with petsmart or petco. I shall try aquabid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store