Bought a house...came with a tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Although mine stick without the magnet I don't know if they would stay attached long term. I really have to pry the wet side off when I try and remove them for cleaning. Possibly work the outside magnet down the glass where you want it and then stick the inside mount on or maybe use the inside mount to slowly move the outside one down?. Can you mount the PH on a different wall? They can rotate in almost any direction.

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
Honestly I am surprised the tank has lasted this long with the brace broken. I have seen several 55G that the center plastic brace broke which caused the glass to bow... then break. Not a fun thing to have happen.

3 solutions I know to solve it...
1. Buy a new top rim/plastic piece, drain the tank at least 1/2 way, use a razor blade and carefully cut the silicone on the top rim to remove it and install a new one.

2. Get a piece of glass cut exactly to size, drain the tank 1/4, and silicone the glass into where the original plastic brace was, just a little lower under the rim/on the glass. Use clamps on the top to hold it together for 48 hours to let the silicone dry. Make sure to clean the area your attaching to on the front/back pane very very good before installing.

3. My opinion, find a Petco and buy a new 55G for $55 before the sale ends on Sunday. It is definitely worth the piece of mind knowing you have a new tank vs a 10+ year old one that has had stress put on the seams over that time. The tank is one of the cheapest pieces to an aquarium but the most critical.

JMO

Edit: Oops, sorry, just went back to the first page and saw the setup again.. errr.. my suggestions may be a little, or a lot, hard to do with that setup. :(

Last edited:

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Honestly I am surprised the tank has lasted this long with the brace broken. I have seen several 55G that the center plastic brace broke which caused the glass to bow... then break. Not a fun thing to have happen.

3 solutions I know to solve it...
1. Buy a new top rim/plastic piece, drain the tank at least 1/2 way, use a razor blade and carefully cut the silicone on the top rim to remove it and install a new one.

2. Get a piece of glass cut exactly to size, drain the tank 1/4, and silicone the glass into where the original plastic brace was, just a little lower under the rim/on the glass. Use clamps on the top to hold it together for 48 hours to let the silicone dry. Make sure to clean the area your attaching to on the front/back pane very very good before installing.

3. My opinion, find a Petco and buy a new 55G for $55 before the sale ends on Sunday. It is definitely worth the piece of mind knowing you have a new tank vs a 10+ year old one that has had stress put on the seams over that time. The tank is one of the cheapest pieces to an aquarium but the most critical.

JMO

Edit: Oops, sorry, just went back to the first page and saw the setup again.. errr.. my suggestions may be a little, or a lot, hard to do with that setup. :(
I may check out the petco idea, but the ad for our local store shows no fish stuff of any kind. got a link?

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
branflake: just turned this up in a quick browse-around on Petco's site.
http://petco.shoplocal.com/petco/de...8790&CatTreeID=569087&L2CatId=569087&L1CatID=

That link should give you a store near iowa city; if not, I've attached a screencap. If you're lucky one of the local stores will still have 55s; I bought the last 40B that the local store out here had yesterday (and one last week :uhoh: ) and they only had a few 55s left.

I wouldn't recommend using the tank with the brace broken the way it is now. The "it's been this way for years, it should be fine" line of reasoning only goes so far. Over time, the glass will fatigue, and its ability to hold together while being bowed out like that will diminish. Eventually it will probably fail. It could be 15 years from now, it could be tomorrow.

I probably wouldn't attempt a DIY brace, either. certainly not the way that Ace recommended, if I understood what he was saying correctly. If I understood what he meant, that won't provide much in the way of structural support at all. It might be enough, but I wouldn't trust it. I'd either replace the rim with a new one with an intact brace or replace the tank as he also mentioned. Given the age of the tank and how cheap they are at petco right now, I'd probably just go that route. Yeah, it'll be a pain to get out, but you don't have to worry about any of the potential hassles that come with having an old tank, either.

tank sale iowa crop.jpg

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
I probably wouldn't attempt a DIY brace, either. certainly not the way that Ace recommended, if I understood what he was saying correctly. If I understood what he meant, that won't provide much in the way of structural support at all.
Just curious, not arguing, but what do you mean? Every high end tank 4' or longer than has a center brace and not euro brace is simply a piece of glass silicon across the middle from front to back. Still, I would highly recommend a new tank over repairing an old one.

Here is a pic I found real quick with google to show what I am talking about with the repair.

And here is a new tank with a euro brace and glass center brace to prevent bowing.

Geeky1

AC Members
Aug 18, 2003
California
Visit site
Just curious, not arguing, but what do you mean? Every high end tank 4' or longer than has a center brace and not euro brace is simply a piece of glass silicon across the middle from front to back.
No offense taken at all. It's hard to discuss things if people don't ask questions, after all. :)

Here's a side profile diagram of the repair you're talking about, as I understand it.

(sorry for the low contrast, it didn't survive the jpg conversion as well as I thought it would)

The details may be slightly off-I wasn't sure if you were saying that the glass should be cut to the exact width of the tank or just wide enough to bridge the gap caused by the break in the brace, but either way the principle is basically the same.

When you glue the brace in there like that, the load from the water pressure is transferred from the old, broken brace to the glass through the silicone. The reason that this makes me uncomfortable is because I just don't trust silicone in this application.

The layer of silicone adds a certain amount of "give" to the brace that probably wasn't there when it was a single, rigid piece of plastic. Silicone is stretchy and pliable and as the tank fills and the plastic pieces start to pull apart, it's going to allow them to move a little bit before the glass support sees any of that load. A 55 with the standard brace might bow say, 0.125" when it's full. (I'm just pulling these numbers out of thin air by the way, they're for illustrative purposes only) while the silicone might add enough stretchiness to the brace that after the repair, the glass is bowed out by say, 0.2". It's just not a completely rigid (or very nearly so) coupling in my eyes the way it was before the repair.

And also, silicone is not very sticky. Very few adhesives stick to glass or plastics well, but it doesn't take much time or effort with a fingernail to be able to start peeling up the edges of the seals on glass tanks. Besides the additional flexibility in the brace, I just don't trust it to bond the glass and the plastic while dealing with any meaningful kind of shear force for a long period of time. And what happens if the silicone can't deal with the forces involved and one side of the brace just lets go of the plastic over a matter of 5 or 10 seconds. The front and rear of the tank are going to lose all of their support in a very short period of time, causing them to bow very quickly, which would seem to me to be the ideal situation to put the glass in if you want to see it shatter or one of the other seals fail.

It might hold for months, it might hold for years. Obviously, if this is how eurobraced tanks are built (I haven't looked at one closely in years, I don't remember), it works. But it does not give me a warm, fuzzy, comfortable feeling of safety when I look at it. If it were me and I insisted on repairing it, I'd get a 1/8"+ sheet of stainless, drain the tank completely, slather it in epoxy or superglue or something and glue it to the existing brace, wait for it to dry and then rivet or bolt it to the plastic.

I may be completely :screwy: and paranoid, but I intensely dislike cleaning up large volumes of water from my floor and using silicone to hold the two sides of the tank together like that just makes me really uncomfortable.

Now, having said all that, just as I finished this post happened to glance at my 30G and remember that the plastic frames on smaller tanks aren't really structural elements as far as I know-they're held together by the silicone beads on the seams. Thus, preventing bowing is probably the only reinforcement provided by that plastic frame on braced tanks, and if a tiny bead of silicone between the panes of glass is enough to hold the tank together, a 2" wide bead along the brace would probably work just fine. Which would make my discomfort at the idea completely irrational and illogical. :duh: That doesn't make me feel any more comfortable with it though. :rolleyes:

Ace25

Oct 3, 2005
Oh I see what you thought.. no, that wouldn't work, you have to silicone the glass to the glass, not the plastic.

But that is another solution as well that I did in the past on my old 55G that had this exact problem.. I cut a piece of lexan strip and drilled 2 holes in it and 2 holes in the cracked brace, 1 on each side of the crack, and used some stainless steel nuts and bolts to hold it together.. but I would not recommend doing that in this case. The tank is so old that the plastic is brittle now. If it cracked once, more than likely if you put more stress on the plastic it will just crack again.

And as you pointed out at the end... the silicone is holding the tank together more than the brace.. it is just on 55G tanks the glass is so thin that it wasn't meant to hold without a center brace supporting it. On rimless tanks like the one in the picture they use thicker glass, but it is all silicone holding it together. No brace at all on this tank.

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
I think they use some sort of a glue between the glass and seal it with silicon. When I resealed my tank, it had something hard (glue?) between the glass panes.

bunnyhunter42

AC Members
Nov 27, 2009
Huntington WV
Real Name
Ryan
wait all tanks at least 4' long have to have a center brace? so a tank that is 6'x18"x18.5" (LxWxH external) with the thickness of the glass panes being 1/2inch needs one then doesnt it? srry to jack the thread.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store