Bought a house...came with a tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

leocom2000

AC Members
Dec 27, 2007
They are harmless amphipods. Don't kill it. They eat left overs and detritus. The population will crush on it's own with time.

ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Formerly ExPeNsIvE AdDiCtIoN on MFK
Sep 9, 2010
Fishville USA
Real Name
Scotty MaC
I wouldn't trip out about the brace too much. I have talked to a few custom tank builders in the area, and i was informed that tank braces are not even needed, they say they are mainly for peace of mind. And I was looking to replace the frame and braces on a 125g and a 55gal I have and they said no worries. I also told them I would be building my first tank and on an 8ft 425gal that said no need for a frame or braces. I figured against that advice but they are the experts afterall...

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Hey all, just checking in.

Update on the tank: I have a "cleaner pack" from liveaquaria in there; I am having trouble finding aiptasia to kill (peppermint shrimp x4).

Bought pink tip anemone that is doing well, eating well and "browing up" nicely.

No additional fish yet, but soon.

Installing a bulkreefsupply RODI unit this weekend, which brings my question:

How should i mix up salt water? I was planning to use the same 5 gallon buckets i used to drag to the LFS, but short of just dumping salt in and stirring is there much else? The RODI water will be cold (low 60's i imagine), So i have contemplated getting a heater for the bucket (and also a tiny powerhead to move the water, maybe even mix the salt?) to make water changes less temperature shocking than they currently are.

What do you guys do?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Sounds like things are going well. Glad to hear it!

Definitely invest in a small pump/PH to mix your salt with. Just about anything will do as long as it has a little umph to it. I mix my water the evening before WC day in a 22 gallon rubbermaid tote. I used to use a 5g bucket but sometimes I want to do a little larger WC so I got the tote. My little pump heats up the water to about 72ish degrees overnight so I don't need a heater but definitely try and get the water temp somewhat close before you add it too the tank. If you need to heat it and you don;t want to buy a separate heater, you can fill a bottle with a tight fitting lid with hot water and just let it float in your bucket.

But yes, just add the amount of salt you need and let it mix. I recommend adding it somewhat slowing and sort of mixing it as you go to avoid settling. I also like to wait at least 6-8 hours before using the new water. Allowing it to mix overnight has worked well for me.

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Hey greech, thanks. Ill hopefully get some pics up soon.

Anything special/brand/type to look for in a PH? If i could put a length of rubber tube/hose on it and pump straight into the tank that would be super.

Maybe i could retire one of the old 1200's that came with the tank to "mix duty" and get something to replace it?

I like the hot water bottle idea too. Very cool.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
Great Job!

Hey Branflake, I don't even have a saltwater tank, but I've been following this thread, and you are doing a great job. :worthy:

I've learned a lot following this thread and you're making me think about giving a saltwater tank another try (I had one about 10 years ago, and completely bombed).

Keep it up, It may seem like a headache now, but after a while it will be a showpiece!

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Wow No idea i had fans. You have inspired me to take some pics. Here we go:

Full tank shot. New titanium heater to phase out the 8 year old glass one. Anemone is the obvious huge ball of hungry, two clowns are feisty as ever. I took the third shot to compare my aiptaisia problem. And the fourth...whats the green brain looking thing? been there for as long as i have owned the tank (bout 9 months now) at least. Thoughts?

IMG_1243.JPG IMG_1244.JPG IMG_1246.JPG IMG_1245.JPG

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Here is the comparison shot, just needed to make myself feel a bit better :D

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Big difference!

Yes a MJ1200 should work just fine and should also have enough to push water up from the WC bucket to your DT. Good call, meant to mention that. Makes thing a lot easier and dryer :)

That brain thing looks to be a sponge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store