Bought a house...came with a tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
awesome progress! it's very very encouraging to see someone start with such a mess (which in my opinion is WAYYYYY worse than starting fresh with even used/wrong equipment) and to bring it this far.

your renegade corals even look to be fairly happy :)
any closer up shots of the bright green? it's hard to see in the pictures, and I may have missed shots of that earlier in the thread (i grazed the first few pages). Just curious is all.

great job man, keep it up!

branflake12

yeah, thats right-purple ROPE
Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Corals? The little patches of bright green? I had no idea, ill try and get some shots up close or stick the camera under the water and get them that way (Canon D10).

Thanks for the Kudos...it was a bit overwhelming to start with, but im starting to feel good about it.

I have also been running Phosguard in a "THe Bag", and i noticed that it says you can dry it out and re-use it "until exhausted". I know that will vary by tank, but are we talk 2 or 3 uses per cup or or like 10?

Thanks again!

audifeesh

AC Members
Aug 18, 2010
Corals? The little patches of bright green? I had no idea, ill try and get some shots up close or stick the camera under the water and get them that way (Canon D10).

Thanks for the Kudos...it was a bit overwhelming to start with, but im starting to feel good about it.

I have also been running Phosguard in a "THe Bag", and i noticed that it says you can dry it out and re-use it "until exhausted". I know that will vary by tank, but are we talk 2 or 3 uses per cup or or like 10?

Thanks again!
sorry i wasn't very clear. the corals i was referring to are your mushys. i was just wondering about the bright green since it's obviously SOMETHING living. i figured some type of encrusting sponge or w/e. that'd be awesome to get some macro's of the life in your tank.

i couldn't really tell you on the phosguard. i've been using phos-zorb pads in my nano with decent success, but am switching to fluidized reactors shortly, just have to find time to do a big hardware swap in the underneath parts of the tank :D

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Need some advice

Hey guys,
Not sure if this is a problem or not.

Yesterday my pink tip anemone was plump and hungry as usual, but today he looks shriveled, like this (tilt your head left for the top pic...i was in a hurry):

My wife (who is really partial to this thing) says hes either in the throws of dying or he is expelling waste and refilling with new water. As a test from something she read on another forum, i fed him half a frozen cube of squid via turkey baster and he grabbed it with his usual ferocity. I cant say if he ate it just yet as i just did it.

Input? If there is a better thread for this, please point me inthe right direction.

Last night i did a 5 gallon top up off my brand new RO DI unit-I flushed it for an hour and tested it to read 0 TDS. That is all that has changed.

Thanks!

IMG_1255.JPG IMG_1256.JPG

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Looks like a typical condy to me. Mouth looks good too from what I can see. Thinking expelling waste assuming water paramaters are good. Can't recall what lighting you have but condy's need a fair amount to thrive.

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
This morning he looked better (but still inside himeself and asleep). Thanks for the input greech.

The lighting is a coralife 65 watt PC 10000K (x2) and two PC blue actinic PC's. Far better than the pet store had on him, but it will have to do.

Sigrid

AC Members
Jan 8, 2011
both hands in fish tank
Real Name
Bristlenose
You have come a long way with this tank. The initial pictures showed a nasty salt crusted mess...wondering why and how the previous owner let it go bad?

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
It was pretty bad, and I didnt know it (never had done salt) when we were looking at the house. I thought the aptasia were kind of pretty and definitely supposed to be there...

The previous owner built the whole setup you can see in the pictures and lots more, and some things, like the ability to service the tank, were not thought of (I dont think).

As for letting the tank go, from what is inside it that came with it, i think at one point it was very well taken care of with lots of activity. The house was on the market for over a year (long time for around here, college town) and I think he knew he wasnt able to take it with him, so he just stopped caring. When i got it the salinity was thru the roof (maxed out both my hydrometers), and it sounded like he just added salt water when it got low. Looking back, im amazed whats left living is still living.

Thanks for the compliment though, its been an uphill battle, and its far from over.

Fishfriend1

Fishlover Extraordinaire
Dec 11, 2009
Southeastern PA
Real Name
Mr. Palmer
wow, epic tank! You've really come far from its starting point, man that tank was a disaster, great job!

branflake12

Sep 20, 2005
Iowa City
Hey thanks! I appreciate it, I had no idea what i was getting into with this tank, but its finally someplace that i dont look at it and think "wow there still so much to do"

In fact, i am considering getting a fish or two to liven it up.

Maybe a pair of something friendly, fast and blue?

Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store