Can I keep shrimp population down in a fluval edge 12 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ijustlikefish

AC Members
Mar 14, 2021
So I would like to pick up a fluval edge and keep shrimp in it, but I do not want these shrimp breed and overflow the tank. Can I just go in from. The hole in the top and net them? Or will I not be able to do that?

keep in mind that I don't want fish with these shrimps.

Ijustlikefish

AC Members
Mar 14, 2021
So I would like to pick up a fluval edge and keep shrimp in it, but I do not want these shrimp breed and overflow the tank. Can I just go in from. The hole in the top and net them? Or will I not be able to do that?

keep in mind that I don't want fish with these shrimps.
Also the tank will be heavily planted

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Welcome to the forum!

Which size Fluval Edge tank are you going to buy?

You should have no problem netting out shrimp from the tank through the top opening. Since you will only be keeping shrimp, you can buy a small net that will fit through the opening or buy a telescoping shrimp net which will make it easier to maneuver around in the tank.

Yes your shrimp will multiply over time so keep that in mind. You might be able to donate or sell extra shrimp back to your store if they accept them or you can try and sell them locally or at your local fish club if there is one near you.

Which plants are you considering buying? You may be limited by plants that require low light as I'm not sure the included light is suitable for plants that require high light needs.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
You can probably keep a couple of hundred shrimp in there easily.

If you don't want them to breed, maybe keep Amano's, or maybe something that is traditionally more difficult to breed, like bamboo.

You should be able to net them out, if you are wanting to sell them for decent money, you will want to cull, which is gonna be more tricky.

Reactions: Sprinkle

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I kept RCS in a 10g with a LOT of plants. There were probably 50 adults & shrimplets. I could net out some to give away, or feed to other tanks without a lot of impact on the population.

Today I'd probably go with a different color of neos like blue, yellow, green or orange. I don't think they're quite as productive as red cherries...& as dougall said you may need to "cull" the less colorful...but be careful, males are always less colorful...but of you'll need some, lol, of course.

Don't mix the colors, they can all breed together & produce "mutts" that are much less desirable...But I loved a turquoise mutt I had several years ago, she was awesome!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store