CFL lights on a 180 - How many ????

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
with catalina you can specify the bulbs you want.

you should be fine with what you have chosen.

they are suppose to be SLR and you should be ok with the light.
That's good to know about the bulbs -

One question Star - what is "SLR"?

Thanks, Arkangel77

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
SLR = single lamp reflector, meaning there is an individual reflector around each bulb.

The 4x80W retrofit should work fine, stagger the bulbs so the whole tank is covered. The ends will be slightly darker, but it should work fine.

I haven't actually seen any data/tests that show actinic bulbs are no good for plants. They are really blue though, I don't like the appearance. The 10000k Catalina bulbs are slightly blue, the 6700k are slightly yellow. I would get 2 of each.

I would e-mail them to make sure the 4x80W retrofit kit has the individual reflectors, it doesn't list them in the description.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
If you look at the link - I was going to go with two -59" T5 RETRO - 2 X 80W for a total of 4 bulbs. that's how I was going to stagger them so even if the reflector is all in one it will still work. I hope. - LOL, Thanks for all the help - I will order this tomorrow

Arkangel77

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
I didn't realize it was all one unit, I thought each reflector could be placed where you wanted.

With the fixture a few inches above the water you should get plenty of spread to at least have moderate light on the ends. They shouldn't be significantly darker. My 30" 29 gallon has 2x24W T5, the bulbs are 24" each, the ends don't look any different.

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I am gona go for it and order them tomorrow - I hope to get the bulbs I want- No matter what It will be a vast improvement over my LED's. Lets hope this is a Keeper! Thanks again - Arkangel77

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
I just spoke with Jim at CA and he was cool. Gave me a brake on the shipping and I got to choose my Bulbs. I did 2 - 10K's and 2 - 65K's. Its gona ship out in a day or so. I will let yall know how It looks when its all done. I will take pics as well. Thanks for all the help. Arkangel77

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
very nice, I have ordered from them a few times.. I have the PCL's and if I could do it over I would have opted for the T-5's but the PCL's work great.

I had no issues and they threw in the legs for the fixtures I got 10k and 6500's .

they are great to work with.

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
very nice, I have ordered from them a few times.. I have the PCL's and if I could do it over I would have opted for the T-5's but the PCL's work great.

I had no issues and they threw in the legs for the fixtures I got 10k and 6500's .

they are great to work with.

PCL = ?

I assume power compact, but what is the L for?

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
STill No lights yet. I think I am gona send them an Email and ask for a Tracking # or something.

Arkangel77

Arkangel77

AC Members
Aug 13, 2006
Well My lights came in - Here are a few pics - I need to get help to put the hood back as its HEAVY!!!!!!!!

lights 001.JPG lights 003.JPG lights 002.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store