Check my fish list please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I'm setting up a 150 gallon tank and here's the species I'm thinking I want in it:
Cory
Severum
Geophagus tapajos
Angel fish
Some kind of tetra or possibly cherry barbs
Rams
Apistogrammas
Bn pleco
Rainbow shark
Fire eel
Dwarf or blue gouramis (which would be better?)
Kribensis (I know they're technically African but their eater parameters where they're bred local are perfect for this tank)
Whip tailed catfish
Harlequin Rasboras
I don't know how many of what is going in there yet, I just want to know if you think this will work and if it won't or if a specific fish won't work, what would you suggest to replace it? Thank you in advance!

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
6 cichlid species, IMO, is too many for a 150gal. I would skip the Severum and Apistos, and go with the other 4 (no reason, but just to keep only 4 cichlid species).
The fire eel may grow too big for everyone. I think they grow to over 20+ inches.
Blue Gourami are very mean, I would have Pearls, must prettier (IMO) and more peaceful.

A large school of tetras and the Harlequin Rasboras would make the tank spectacular.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Okay, so try to pick 4, thanks :) I actually love pearl gouramis, I just wasn't sure if they'd be pushovers! So that's awesome I'll definitely do them :) As for tetras, what would you suggest that won't nip the angelfish fins? I would really love a school of neons but there's like a 60-40 chance they get eaten from what I've read...

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Also, this is not related to this tank just a general question, can yellow Australian rainbows be kept in a lower ph? I have a 30 gallon I would like to put them in, but the pH is low

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have had Neons with Angels, but I maybe the exception. I bought the Neons and Angels together a long time ago and grew up together, so no issues. There are still many other types of Barbs and tetras that will be OK in that tank--Golden Barbs, Panda Barbs, and my favorite Snake-Skin Barbs.
For tetras--Head &Tail Lights, Black Phantoms, Candy Cane (my favorite), Rosy Tetras, ect. ,

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I would also skip the rainbow shark if you're going to do slower moving species like angels and gouramis. They can be pretty nippy and territorial and there's also a chance they will eat your smaller schooling fish.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I've actually had a rainbow shark with Angels with some various juvenille cichlids for about a year now and no issues. It definitely doesn't like anyone in its space, but once they get that idea it's fine. Thank you for mentioning it though because if the neon start dissappear I'll know where to look :) The barbs you mentioned are sooooo pretty! Do any of then tightly school?

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
That is one spastic list. Lots of pH and temp differences :( I would research the tank requirements for each fish and go from there :)

Reactions: Tifftastic

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
I have, and they all overlap perfectly to require a temperature from 77-79 degrees and a pH anywhere from 6.5-7. But thank you for the concern because in my earlier fish keeping I might not have checked such things :)

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
A pH range of 6.5 to 7 is kind of a big range. Remember that pH is on a log scale so 0.1 difference is actually quite big

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store