Chest of Drawers as a Stand

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

oscar83

AC Members
May 21, 2004
Middletown, NJ
it might possibly work but youd have to find out what kind of weight limit that chest has. a 25 gallon tank could way upwards of 200 lbs plus.

Jericho

AC Members
Jul 22, 2005
Being IKEa furnature I would say no. You would have to find old school furnature that is made out of real wood. As stated a 25 gal will weigh 208 lbs in water and then figure the tank, gravel, and decor. So figure you need a stand that will hold 300 pounds to be safe.

mfzzzoo

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Thanks for the replies. I am also looking at a metal tubular aquarium stand, however it is longer (36" x 12") then my tank. Would that pose any problems? (I figure it would be safer to have a close to exact fit if it is a metal stand)

Needeles

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
Wisconsin
WHy not just build a stand. It is mainly some 2x4's and they tend to hold pretty well. I will see if I can find a layout for ya. I was going to make one for my 20g and I think the costs were only about $15.

mfzzzoo

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion. Actually I thought of it but I do not have any wood cutting and finishing tools. Plus I live in an apartment and don't really have the space for woodworking. So buying one is could be the one way to go for me

is300zx

AC Members
Jan 1, 2006
i think you can get your woods cut at homedepot. just draw up your plans and know the sizes of wood you're going to use. then assemble your stand at home.

tuvok

AC Members
Dec 16, 2004
is300zx said:
i think you can get your woods cut at homedepot. just draw up your plans and know the sizes of wood you're going to use. then assemble your stand at home.
They will cut your wood but I don't think they guarantee accuracy. I always felt that they offered the wood cutting service mainly so that if you bought a large piece of wood you could get it in your vehicle and not necessarily to provide you with project grade cuts. I could be wrong, but it is just something else to consider.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: Not sure if you need a 'finnished' look but cinder blocks work well. With proper placement, they'll support a ton! Inexpensive & no cutting. Good for multi tank displays. Just a thought. Good Luck

blkwdw13

AC Members
Dec 10, 2002
Some where in the flat land.
Visit site
tuvok said:
They will cut your wood but I don't think they guarantee accuracy. I always felt that they offered the wood cutting service mainly so that if you bought a large piece of wood you could get it in your vehicle and not necessarily to provide you with project grade cuts. I could be wrong, but it is just something else to consider.
Having worked at HD before it all depends on the employee, if they want to tank there time and correctly measure it for you or if they wan't to just get it done so they can go back to doing nothing(most likely the case). And also being IKEA furniture doesn't make it junk they have some good quality stuff there, I got a table from there that supports my 45" TV it weighs about 400 lbs and also my kids climb all over the thing and it's rock solid. So with that being said it's all in how that dresser is held together being that the description says it's solid wood.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store