CL Used Aquarium Pricing Guide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Tanks on craigslist in the NJ/NY area here are crazy overpriced!

jmhart

Revolutionary
Sep 8, 2007
Atlanta,GA
That's pretty spot on. I thought it was going to be a useless rant. Whenever I'm selling stuff on CL, that's pretty much what I set as my "minimum" price. I'll take those numbers, add ~20% for the bartering factor, and then list it.

For example, I've got a 75g on CL right now, comes with a diy stand. Asking $125, I'd happily accept $100, probably even $90. But people barter, so if I listed it at $90, somebody would want to pay $50...ain't gonna happen. I'd rather keep the tank.

However, where the author differentiates the "year or under" aquariums, I disagree. Used is used, and you can't take someones word for how old it is. Whenever someone says "Yeah, only 6 months old" that means at least 18 months. Used is used. $1 per gallon for tanks.

I had a 2213 on there complete with media, asking $60(which I got...woot, would have been happy with $45). Anyway, I also have a 2128, asking $150(would accept $120). Some lady called yesterday, confused the two, and thought I was selling the 2128 for $60...and then offered me $40. I politely declined.

Tay690

Addicted to Loaches
Feb 5, 2009
Yah I can agree on that also

People will always try to low ball your asking price so setting your minimum and overpricing slightly...in the end you get your asking price

You can't stop them from low balling your price so the only way to get what you want is to add (like you said) about 20% on top of your min

The thing that cheeses me off more than the ridiculous prices

People that take pics of their tanks while they're up and running like 2 years before the sale

Then you drive XX amount of miles to the place because it is "Like New" condition...and you're disgusted with the scratches and dings

At that point...after spending all that time and gas money because something was falsely advertised...what can you do?

Suck it up and drive home? or suck it up and take the fish room condition tank home with you?

I'm always extremely sceptical about buying any tanks online now...

One simple rule (unless it's towards the end of the month...cuz those are actual good deals)

If it seems too good to be true...it most likely is

Scuppers

AC Members
Jan 8, 2010
Oklahoma
I've printed your price guide as that is some stella work and cuts through the BS. Great job.

Slightly off-topic but I went to buy a guitar from a pawn shop and the guy wanted $250. I pointed out that the neck was cracked so offered him $25 as it was a broken guitar. He said he would get it fixed and indeed he had it repaired and now wanted $350 for it. He was really really really cheezed off when again I offered him $25 for it as, basically, it was still a broken guitar!!!! Guess I wont be getting any deals there......

CWO4GUNNER

USN/USCG 1974-2004 Weps
I wont even buy a tank for $1 a gallon if it doesn't have all the basic accessories like a stand, lighting, covers. I say if its more then 2 years old becasue I know people have such a hard time letting them go before that even if they have to sit in storage, they should sell for $1 a gallon and have all basic accessories otherwise they should sell for $0.60 a gallon.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
I thought the $1 per gallon estimate was pretty solid myself and agree that the "year old" bit is too hard to verify. I've definitely felt the author's frustration in looking at aquariums around here. Most are pretty much in line with this, but then there's the perennial listings that are way out of the ball-park. I saw a 125 gallon saltwater setup for $4500. The owner started the post with "I paid $7500 for this 5 years ago so it's a good deal"......It had a stand, and all, but it wasn't that nice. They had that one posted for over a year before somebody either bought it because they thought that since it's on craigslist it must be a good deal, or they gave up.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Most of the prices in my area are over the top. Everybody wants to not just get back what they initially paid but want to make a profit too!

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
75gal and stand i got for 60 with 2218 he was asking 160 lol wen there and the filter wouldnt turn on so he just said ok 60 and ill throw in a ballast yes! he need to stock his new 7ft by 3ft tall by 2ft wide with malawis and plecos i recomended a cheap lfs and he gave me a bulb :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store