CL Used Aquarium Pricing Guide

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shaynablizard

AC Members
Sep 9, 2008
US
Real Name
Shayna
I'll pay 1.00 per gallon with accessories on CL since bare tanks you can get for that on sale. Older doesn't bother me as long as in good shape and holds water, but I prefer black trim to wood. I recently picked up a great deal on a complete 125gal aquarium with lid, lights, metal stand, two canister filters, and some other accessories for 100.00. It was brown trim, but I've made the best of it! I find better deals in small towns. When it's in a big city, people like to ask more. The post I thought was actually pretty well thought out though, and the market does depend on location.
There's an ad on my local CL that's been posted over and over for MONTHS for a 30 gallon tank for 115.00, and each time they post they specifically say "If you like to dicker, I'll gladly accept more." Hmmm wonder why it hasn't sold yet? I'm not one of those flag happy people, but if I was, I'd flag it for just annoying me.

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
i have seen that guide before saved it and post it stating its not mine, when i see 100s of tanks for sale that are so stupidly over priced it hurts ..mostly around the Washington areas.

a 5 gallon tank with 3 gold fish and a can of crappy food for 30$...get real.

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
In RI the prices were typically cheap. Here in GA, they are CRAZY over-priced. It took me 6 months to find my 75 gal tank w/ stand, which I did get a good deal on ($100), but it did need a good amount of work - water damaged stand, scratches on the tank, broken glass tops, etc. The bulk of the prices out there for this area are $3+/gal on used equipment. Crazy.

sorberj

wannabe fish whisperer
Sep 14, 2009
McCleary, WA
Real Name
Jerad
After quite a few months away from AC, imagine my surprise on the day I come back to see one of my old threads revived. I decided to see if things are as bad as they were before and lo and behold I found a 30gal Top fin kit advertised for $200 on Craigslist today.

I'm glad everyone's still appreciating the guide I found, hopefully the original author will eventually step forward.

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
I've got all the crazy prices beat. Check out the ridiculous price this guy is asking on a ten gallon with a few accessories that in no way justify the price:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/for/2166509139.html

I mean, the audacity of some people!
hahahaha That is pretty funny!

"Complete setup - used one month...essentially brand new. See photos for what is included in sale. Includes automatic feeder."

What makes this particularly funny is than last month they were selling the same exact set up @ Petsmart for $20 BRAND NEW & "not essentially brand new". Of course the highly in demand sunken pirate ship & the blue gravel weren't included, but I don't see the inclusion of those two things commanding an additional $90.

Also, what would you be keeping in a ten gallon that would require a daily automatic feeder? You'd easily be over feeding using that thing, which is probably why the tank is now empty & up for sale to begin with lol (poor former inhabitants... :tombstone:)

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
He was probably keeping a pleco, a red belly piranha, and an oscar in there. This assumption is based purely on what I've seen on Craigslist. I can't count how many ads I've seen that are selling their fish that out grew their 10 gallon aquarium. Did you know that there are fish that can do that?!

sailedNJ

marine biologist & architect
Jan 9, 2011
New Jersey, USA
Real Name
Art Vandelay
He was probably keeping a pleco, a red belly piranha, and an oscar in there.
:lol: What no Porpoise included in that stocking list??

Unfortunately your assumption is probably pretty accurate. Too many people buy first & research later (if they research at all) & end up with set ups like this.
FishBowl_big.jpg

Then when all the fish die, they get fed up & try to sell their "slightly used/essentially brand new" set up & recover every red cent they spent on it (including items @ full price & tax) LOL

FishBowl_big.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store