Cleaning & Reusing Floss Cartridges

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I understand the fact that lower flow will provide more contact with media, and specifically less potential for bypassing that media... but my instinct is that keeping it clean is likely a better solution.

my concern with lowering the flow is the potential mechanical load it puts onto the system. It just leaves me a bit uncomfortable.

If you see better or similar results lowering the flow, then go for it. I really only do use canister ilters rather than power filters and I normally want as much flow as I can so I don't have the experience you are looking for.
Thanks.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
I meant the oprevious poster.... ?

maybe stick him where teh sun doesn't shine would be innocuous enough?
LOL....he's really THAT bad? What has happened in the past?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
LOL....he's really THAT bad? What has happened in the past?
LOL. He's that bad. Read a few of his other posts in other threads and you'll understand...

I can say I got older and lost a bunch of patience. ;)
I've been trying my best to ignore him, but it's kind of hard when he gets on and posts 40 rambling, incoherent and irrelevant posts in one thread...

WYite

Reactions: dudley and dougall

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
This is the best way to TAME the flow, WITHOUT REDUCING the flow in Aquaclear 110. This can be used with any HOB filter, and the best part is that it is easy, free, and reversible (put in on, or take it off).
By making the cut-out soda bottle narrower or wider, different flow patterns can be achieved. By closing one end, unidirectional (lateral flow can be achieved with your HOB filter.

IMG_0734.jpg

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
This is the best way to TAME the flow, WITHOUT REDUCING the flow in Aquaclear 110. This can be used with any HOB filter, and the best part is that it is easy, free, and reversible (put in on, or take it off).
By making the cut-out soda bottle narrower or wider, different flow patterns can be achieved. By closing one end, unidirectional (lateral flow can be achieved with your HOB filter.

View attachment 229716
Thanks a lot, FJB.

Indeed, I've seen the soda bottle baffling method mentioned many times on the 'net; the thing is, when I lower my AC110's flow to minimum, it really doesn't change the strength of the flow all that much, which I've read is normal with these because they push so much water. My logic for leaving the flow turned to the "-" side is that, based on what I've read, the media has more contact time with the water and the incoming water gets recirculated many times for cleaning due to Hagen/Fluval's patented flow control system in these filters.

Plus, I figured because I'm using a 110 on a 60 gallon, the flow doesn't have to be 100-percent -- does any of this make sense, or would it be better to keep the flow on max?

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
For my own use, I prefer to have filters at full flow, and tame the flow with a baffle (if needed in a smaller tank).
I honestly believe that any difference in filtration (due to contact time) by having the filter's level to the right or to the felt is so small, as to not make any real difference.

Kaskade10729

AC Members
Jun 16, 2013
You're probably right about it not making any difference; thanks for your opinions.

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Can the common floss-surrounding-carbon filter cartridges as seen on models from Aqueon, Top Fin, Tetra, Marineland, et al be rinsed and reused like, say, the foam media found in AquaClears?

I know the carbon in the cartridges will eventually exhaust, but I am not concerned with that being that I'm not really worried about chemical filtration (I usually use packets of Purigen in my AC110 anyway), though there have been rumors of exhausted carbon leeching toxins back into the tank...

Anyway, in getting back to my question, I have an Aqueon QuietFlow LED PRO 75 and AquaClear 110 on my 60 gallon goldfish tank, and when cleaning my Aqueon, I have been just removing the stock cartridges from time to time and dunking them in removed tank water, which is the way I clean my foam in the 110. I have read that when you throw away these cartridges and replace them, you're throwing away beneficial bacteria, so I have been dunking and swooshing them around in removed water during water changes. Is this okay? The cartridges have a "stained" look to them, whether from debris collected or BB, and the gentle swooshing in the bucket doesn't really "remove" any of this discoloration, so maybe it's just bacteria.

Can cartridge media like this be reused the way I'm doing -- at least to the point that the floss isn't falling apart -- without worrying about toxins getting back into the water column? I never see a reduced flow rate from the Aqueon, so I assumed the cartridges weren't completely clogged up...
When I had those cartridges, I reused and cleaned them the same way as you without any issues Now I replace the cartridge and use bio rings and sponges which IMO works much better

Reactions: Kaskade10729
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store