Clown loach skinny disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
I got drove to pick up 9 clowns today! Biggest one is 8 inches. Most are around 4-5 inches. Anyway. 2 of them are severely skinny, almost like withering away.

What are the steps a I can take to cure this? I looked it up and I guess it's common?

I will post some pics tomorrow when the lights are on.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Barring actual illness, just good food. When I had some, they liked frozen bloodworms, a lot. Maybe a few extra feedings for a few days until they gain some weight. 9 clown loaches? A few hundred (no, I'm not kidding) "pest" type snails would make them *very* happy for about a week. I also fed algae wafers.

rufioman

"That guy"
Aug 16, 2010
Northern Arizona, USA.
Real Name
Heath
I got my clown loaches skinnier than the day I was born as well. Now they eat entirely too much. Oddly they paired off from the original group and killed the third after the rest were rehomed for this reason. Cue Jurassic Park velociraptor music. I have no idea why they are so agro towards other clowns. They don't bother corys, sa bumblebees, plecos, anything else.

ANYWAYS. My clowns greeeeedily eat 3/4-1" mts, which I add about 20 a week along with algae wafers and bottom feeder pellets from my wonderfully infested 30 and 5g tanks. All nls except the snails, obviously, though I wouldn't be surprised one bit to see that in the future. They got back in the game within....3 weeks? It's important to give them places to eat where other fish will not bother them too much, if possible. Mine like to nibble on wafers but snatch and run on anything else.

:crazy:

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Idk if this is just normal hunger? He's actually swimming around a little better today.

I thought about getting some worming stuff from the pet store today. Or the stuff you soak some food in and feed it to them.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1369581207.165408.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1369581246.115249.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1369581278.048628.jpg

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
If you look at my largest loach too, you can see his bones running straight back from behind his eye.

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1369581834.415460.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1369581878.548720.jpg

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Yikes, that clown loach is skinny alright.. Never seen one like that..

To try and attempt to treat the skinny disease, I'd say you should use Maracyn one and Maracyn II medication and medicated de-worming fish flakes in combination (make sure the medicated flakes are all eaten, if not, remove..) for the clown loach separated in a 10 gallon hospital tank; that is what I would do. It's more easier to monitor/observe it's behavior, and treat health closely that way. Small-medium water changes should be done weekly making sure to vacuum the gravel or bare bottom ten gallon hosptial tank that is if you are getting one. After the clown is fully recovered, make sure to give them a variety of foods high in protein (frozen bloodworms, blackworms, grindals, etc) and also vegetables (blanched zucchini, spinach, carrots, peas) garlic fish flakes, NLS pellets should help with overall health in time.

Good luck. I hope the clown loach regains it's normal weight soon.

**EDIT**

Oh yeah, and look for and buy specifically DeWorm-3 medicated flake. It should work well.

Last edited:

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
I was thinking about going to Walmart to pick up a 10g tank for quarantine. They are only 13.00. And then throw one of my established filters on it. First I'm gonna to feed the **** out of them for a few days. And see if It doesn't make a difference. I'm headed to Walmart now to grab a tank and some zucchini anyway.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
WOW, that is skinny!! Try feeding lots (more feeding, not big feedings) of frozen and live food. Tubiflex, white worms, and blood worms are a good idea.

The Q-tank may not be a good idea.
1) clowns are very social, so to be alone, makes them skittish.
2) a 10 is too samll for it-- may make it feel crowded.==more skittish.

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
WOW, that is skinny!! Try feeding lots (more feeding, not big feedings) of frozen and live food. Tubiflex, white worms, and blood worms are a good idea.

The Q-tank may not be a good idea.
1) clowns are very social, so to be alone, makes them skittish.
2) a 10 is too samll for it-- may make it feel crowded.==more skittish.
Agreed.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store