Clown loach skinny disease?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Hi tanker, Brian..

Yeah true.. but guys, honestly I would think a 10 gallon would suffice if the clown loach is small enough 4"-5" like the ones Dave has; and the tank is provided with some plastic plants and rocks to provide a bit of hiding and security would help with the clowns being skittish. If they were bigger, then yes, a bigger tank would definitely help.. and I know they are very social and all, but you know, I mean we're just trying to isolate and help the poor little clown loach for a little while, right? Can't hurt.. As long as we be gentle and we don't startle them by walking/running immediately to or around the tank, it may be alright. Do we really want to put in more clown loaches in the quarantine tank so it helps the sick fish to not feel lonely...? No, right? Maybe there is no space and by introducing more loaches that may potentially make the sick loach spread the diseases to other loaches.. So I think a 10 gallon to help isolate the 1-2 sick clowns to give them treatment wouldn't be that bad, in my opinion.. plus you use less medication. Nonetheless, It's all up to you though, Dave. Your choice.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
I'm pretty sure these loaches have been together a long time. So worry about spreading to other loaches isn't my case.

So far I bought frozen blood worms, frozen Bryne shrimp, zucchini and cucumber. In top of also having shrimp pellets and algae wafers and MTS I've seen them sucking on time to time.

I've put the cucumber and zucchini in and they seem to mess with it for a little. Taking a bite if they swim by. There's also a little bit of mango on the spoon and they've seemed to take to that a little more, probably cause its rather soft. But it's also pretty messy. Good thing I got the fx5.

Good news is they seem very comfortable in the tank compared to the one they were in. When I went to pick them up it was bare bottom with a few pieces of PVC and they were all hiding in the PVC and seemed very skittish. They aren't AS skittish in my tank and aren't hiding. But they are still a little weary of me when I get close. But from the couch view they swim happily. Even the super skinny one seems to be swimming better/fast . I swear when I got him yesterday I could touch him and he wouldn't really try to swim off.

So I'm going to continue to just feed a lot of variety, and often. See what they take to the most and watch for any improvement, before I would decide to quarantine and use meds. I think I am getting a 55g from a friend the end of this week. If frequent feeding doesn't help, then I will quarantine the sick in the 55g.

I do think the 10g would suffice, but when I thought about it, if he was uncomfortable in any way he might not eat, which would actually make the problem worse.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Woo what a post. If you are actually interested enough to read all that you are a champion.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
Gotta find what they like. You might be going home with two 55s haha. I got that one for ya still.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Woo what a post. If you are actually interested enough to read all that you are a champion.
I did read your entire post , and Neonflux's too. (I just wish men he would stop saying guys, :rolleyes:). Looks like you are on the right track. Just watch "Her" and feed her well.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Alrighty Dave, suit yourself :). So you're just pretty sure that they have been together for a long time, huh? But... how do you know? You're only assuming.. I mean you have to ask the LFS employee to know absolutely for sure... Wow a 55 gallon to quarantine, eh?..Okie dokie.... You know, Dave, the clown loach looks pretty sick to me according to the pic.. and think it may be best to quarantine as soon as possible, or you may lose him/her.. Sometimes there is no time to wait.. gotta do something before it is too late.. I wish you the best of luck!

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
Alrighty Dave, suit yourself :). So you're just pretty sure that they have been together for a long time, huh? But... how do you know? You're only assuming.. I mean you have to ask the LFS employee to know absolutely for sure... Wow a 55 gallon to quarantine, eh?..Okie dokie.... You know, Dave, the clown loach looks pretty sick to me according to the pic.. and think it may be best to quarantine as soon as possible, or you may lose him/her.. Sometimes there is no time to wait.. gotta do something before it is too late.. I wish you the best of luck!
He got them from a person selling. Not LFS boss. Quarantine isn't a bad idea. I just personally think good feeding will do the trick for a week or so.

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
He got them from a person selling. Not LFS boss. Quarantine isn't a bad idea. I just personally think good feeding will do the trick for a week or so.

Oh... He said he drove and picked up 9 clown loaches.. I guessed that he went by a fish shop and bought them... Meh. How did you know he bought them from a private person selling anyway? You guys know each other well? He wasn't specific enough.. :p Well yeah whatever.. then he should contact the person selling to know at least. And sure, one week to feed healthy foods won't hurt I suppose.. I hope nothing bad bappens.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
Neon flux, I agree with you that it's a risky situation. But I do know that within 24 hours of me having them, the sick one is moving a lot better.

Brian and I do know each other well, we have been hometown friends for a very long time.

Also, I know the guy had them for at least a year together. And he had a very large fish "garage." He was breeding cichlids in a good 30 different tanks. I feel as though the clowns kinda got pushed to the side and not taken care of completely. But I'm sure if I called and asked the guy he would of course say he fed them often.

The fish is definitely sick. If I don't see improvement, ill set up some kind if quarantine. The meds you spoke of.. Do you know where I can find them?

Also I pretty much watch the tank all day. It's in the living room. So I can see that the fish is active.

But really... If you saw the fish in person you would be worried. Sigh. But I have faith I can get it back to health.

The 10g is still an option for me if needed within the week. But I see no reason not to set up a larger tank if I have it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store