Clown-Lovers 75 Gallon Tank Log

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well I did it.. I bought the Red Bali Starfish at my LPS.. My nephew named him Patrick so there goes the LaVerne and Shirley theme :) Did a nice slow drip on him just to make sure he got acclimated ok. I opened the bag in my tank and pulled him out so he didn't make any air contact and placed him on the sand. He took off for the rocks and here he is heading for a hiding place. (Like everything else I own).. :hitting: He is actually quite small, only about 1 1/2 to 2 inches.. from tip to tip.

Anyway here is the pic

Bali.jpg

ooja3k

AC Members
Jul 3, 2007
San Luis Obispo
hey clown how did you go about your FW dip for your polyps...

did you fw dip both the green star polyps and the zoas?? or just the zoas..

how did you go about doing it... i have some GSP, zoas, and palythoas arrivng tomorrow and i wanted to know how to give em a dip before putting them in my system...

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
I have a 5 gallon bucket that fill half way with RO/DI water because the city water where I live is just bad. I add a heater to bring it up to the same temp as my tank I add buffers to bring the PH up to the same level as my tank. I add Lugols to the water as well.

After acclimation but before putting them into my tank (because your matching your tank water) I just place them into the dip for just a little bit swishing them around in the water. I've done this as long as 5 minutes but remember that you are stressing them out by doing this. If there are any bugs etc they should start falling off almost immediately. If not I remove them from the dip water to my tank. Also they may get "slimy" during this process. I haven't had to do it to fish, but have read that it increases mucus production in fish and I know it did with the zoas.

One article I read on WWM says that you should create your dip to the shipping water.. However my contention for this is if there is a parasite that I cannot see in the water am I not just re-contaminating the livestock? So I acclimate to my system first and then dip to my parameters.

I dipped everything. Also with my GSP it took them almost 4 - 5 days for everything to oepn up.. It took well over 2 days for even one to open up in my tank. So don't get worried if your don't open up by the next day.

hth

Last edited:

mudskippers

AC Members
Jun 1, 2007
Tempe, AZ
Looking great CL, seems like things are really comming together. :)

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Ok so Mgammer I plan on starting a blog but this is easier..

Have had a new friend in Quaratine and he just made it to the main display tank.. Here is a couple of pictures of him.. But I can't decide on a name.. I'm thinking the big ragu to keep in with my theme but I don't know.. With LaVerne in a new home (and doing swimmingly I hear) I just might opt out of that naming convention.

I haven't decided if I'm going to get him any female friends yet as I want to see how he interacts in the main aquarium..

There are also some pics of old friends...

100_0827.JPG 100_0826.JPG 100_0829.JPG 100_0830.JPG 100_0823.JPG 100_0824.JPG 100_0760.JPG 100_0762.JPG

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Yeah.. I've had him and the scooter I plan on getting in my sig for a while - althought I DON'T have the scooter yet (maybe next week :) ).. I figured you would have caught it when I updated.. I haven't decided if I'm going to get him some female friends or not yet just because I have read that you should have a 125 if you plan on doing the whole harem thing.. I might break down and get one.. But like I said I want to see how he does in the main display for a while first.

He is definitely asserting his dominance.

clown-lover

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Fargo, ND
Well he seems to have made himself at home.. The clowns have actually chased him away from their flower pot in no uncertain terms :) [go lenny and squiggy].. And all is well..
I think I may go pick up the scooter tomorrow.. There is one with a lot of personality that I have been eyeing and I don't want him to get sold out from underneath me..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store