CO2 Questions (new setup)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Brilliant

Discus
Sep 25, 2006
loaches r cool said:
You are right though, djlen did come down on you pretty hard.
I am wondering what prompted you to make your first post....or did you realize this later. I never saw an apology...LOL.

loaches r cool said:
Ahh but thats my point. By your prior reasoning, since some fish do live at the bottom of the ocean then my loaches should be able to also. But different fish that come from different environments have adapted to those paramaters, and that does not mean that all can. But I have always believed as others do that they dont really read the ph value specifically, within reason - and its the within reason part that I am unsure of, meaning what is the low limit, and does the 'low limit' vary much throughout the species of fish in aquaria. Since I do inject CO2 and I am pretty sure my tap KH is very low, I might be down in this range if I stop doesing bicarb... so I will do it very gradually and monitor closely.
Whats your point? Different fish require different parameters? Yes I AGREE...to the fullest extent. Soft acidic water fish belong in soft acidic water likewise with the latter. Know your parameters. Dont keep 0-1KH with Africans...I dont think anyone is being ignorant of that. This is about co2, KH , plants and a myth thats lived too long.

At certain times Ive seen pH values that are extremely low. I am keeping soft acidic water fish...I use soft acidic water.

thadius65 said:
My goal was 3.5 watts per gallon and I got about as close as I can tonight. So a total of 3.3WPG as of tonight.
Ted

Ut oh another can of worms...WPG...LOL!

thadius65

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
Ferts from Greg came yesterday. Mixed up my liquid batches (CSM+B and MGSO4) and (KN03, KH2P04 and K2S04) and began with the later.

M,W,F -- CSM Solution
Based off of Greg's "Roll your own"

Sun, T, Th - K Solution
Based off of:
1.5tsp KN03 3x per week
.5 tsp KH2P04 3x per week
.5 tsp KS2S04 3x per week

Plants pearling, fish NOT gasping.... so far so good.

Lynn- got some Crystal Red Shrimp from a LFS (ordered them). $3 a piece!! but they were very very small... Got 6 of them, descent color. Not sure if I have anymore than one survivor though. Might have been a moderately expensive snack for my Clown Loaches... :thud:

thadius65

AC Members
Jul 30, 2006
I am going to attempt to post pictures (first time here):

(sorry failed)

Last edited:

loaches r cool

Snail Terminator
Feb 15, 2006
Gahanna, Ohio
tristan.homelinux.net
Brilliant, yeah I kinda realized that later. And that little bit of argument is now a couple weeks old. But if you have to bring it up again...

Brilliant said:
Whats your point? Different fish require different parameters? Yes I AGREE...to the fullest extent. Soft acidic water fish belong in soft acidic water likewise with the latter. Know your parameters. Dont keep 0-1KH with Africans...I dont think anyone is being ignorant of that. This is about co2, KH , plants and a myth thats lived too long.
No it wasnt about co2, kH and plants per-se, it was in response to fish living at very low ph. I was making a point, not saying what is correct or not. What I was refering to was this statement:
IME Fish don't die from low pH. If that were the case then the streams and lakes in South America that are loaded with fish and a pH of 4.5, would merely be a figment of our imagination.
It was pointed out that fish live at a ph of 4.5 at some particular place in the world. And by not keeping your KH up with co2, you ph could similarly get this low. And the point was made that this is just fine. But is it really? There was no mention that some fish and plants might not be able to tolerate such low ph. I do not know what all fish and plants can or can't live there fullest at 4.5ph, just pointing out that just because some do that doesnt mean all can, so caution may be advisable before subjecting your tank to extremely low ph without regard of the species of your fish and plants. It could very well be that most or all aquarium fish and plants can, I dont know, just advise some more research first.

The other point I brough up was that this whole topic of low kh, co2, and ph crash really could have been introduced hear a bit better, ideally in its own thread since this is a huge topic. You all just really springed it on us here at AC as if it was common knowledge, and couldnt beleive there was someone who didnt know about it. I honestly dont think it was ever even mentioned prior that the ph crash could be a myth, coral isnt good to buffer, etc., these things were commonly accepted as fact. To expect most people who have long beleived otherwise to simply accept what 1 or 2 new users say is silly, of course there will be a lot of opposition. I for one do beleive this concept has merit, and I am slowly reducing my bicarb dosing. It would be nice if I can eliminate dosing all together, I'll soon see if I can. Any less work I have to do the better :)

thadius65 - sounds good! Its always nice to see the plants pearling. Sorry to hear about the shrimp though. I have been debating shrimp too but have the same dilemma with the clown loaches. It must be a hit or miss thing, as one of the lfs's here have a large heavily planted tank with a few clowns in there (~5" each) and many many shrimps (even small ones ~1") in there with them. I am trying a pair of wood/bamboo/singapore/whatever shrimp that are pretty large (~2.5" currently). They are filter feeders though, and apparently dont eat much surface algea but supposed to eat suspended algea.

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
Ted good going!
I can't wait to see the plants I sent you growing and pearling!
As for cherries and clown loaches....eeeeeeeeeeek no go. They will eat them all :(
I would stick wither to one or the other, or you will be feeding expensive goodies!

Loaches....be aware that Brilliant is a great person and is just watching my back <appreciated Frank>
He doesn't like when people are mean to those trying to go out of their way to help. Hell, I don't either! lol
Lets just put it past us and get Ted going....That is my goal here anyway!

gagaliya

GNOME POWER!
Nov 20, 2005
NJ
www.happyreward.com
Just read past the first page so if this is already mentioned my apologies. fresh_newby and dijen are both right, it was just two school of thoughts. Some facts:

1) CO2 injection will lower ph if there is no buffer (low kh), heavy co2 injection from pressurized will lower ph to dangerous levels with no buffer(low kh)
2) crushed coral is a proven method to safely raise and stabilize kh to a consistent level without adding chemicals etc regularly. A bag of crushed coral will buffer for months to year

two school of thoughts:

1) Old school - pressurized co2 at a fixed bubble/sec rate(usually through trial and error to get 20-30ppm co2) ran 24/7, no ph monitoring, no fancy digital hardwares. At night run a powerhead/bubblewand to create surface movement for gas exchange. In this case if your tap water has low KH (<3), you NEED to buffer it to be safe.

2) High tech - pressurized co2 automated by ph monitor, it will turn the co2 off when ph drops below certain level. In this case, crushed coral should not be used since it has the potential to mess up the ph monitor readings. And the fact that co2 will be turned off auto when ph drops makes buffering the tank pointless.

As an added note to 2), if you have like 0 kh in the tap water, this method wont work good if you want good co2 level, you should just go with 1) instead. Personally i would never bother with 2), less digital crap = less variables for failure.

I think dijen was basing his argument on 1) and fresh_newby on 2).

fresh_newby

Resident Plant Freakshow
Mar 5, 2006
NYC
yes and no...
you can use both methods for a low KH. You never really have a KH of zero, we just think we do because of our crappy teat kits. Their sensitivity is not such to detect anything when there are low levels present. I have noticed crushed coral doing more harm than good. If you want to raise GH I have seen better results with MgSo4 and CaCl2...but as for KH the "new" school is to leave it alone. If it is 0.5-2, no need to add anything. The plants do better and the fish are fine. Just don't OD them with CO2 gas. There is more reading about all of this all over but here are a few threads you can peruse.

old one
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g...iscussion/32365-low-no-kh-low-ph-without.html

update

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/g.../35622-our-low-kh-experiment-lets-update.html

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Some plants (Vallisneria comes to mind) can obtain carbon from carbonates. Not really a problem if you're injecting CO2 but still a curious trait for a plant.

For calcium try CaSO4 instead of CaCl2. It's a lot more plant friendly.

justintoxicated

AC Members
Dec 19, 2005
Wow that was alot of reading I guess I'm doing everything wrong...

I have Co2 Injection (DIY) with a red sea CCO2 reactor 500 to disole the CO2 into the water. I use crushed coral in my filter because I NEED the PH above 7 in order for my Brigs (Mystery Snails) to grow healthy shells. Calcium disolves into water and it buffers my PH/KH at the same time

I have not had any problems though.

this is slightly off topic but I didnt want to make a new thread, If i hook up a valve to my DIY yeast Co2 and turn off the co2 injection into the tank overnight is the gas going to build up alot inside my tubing/2 liter? It would be nice to turn it off overnight but I don't want to wake up to a big mess because the pressure got too high overnight with no release!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store